Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to remove old stains from quilt blocks

Thank you for your replies.

Am going to see what I can find when I'm out today.

This makes me wish I was still up North near Amish Country. They ALWAYS had all the old standards (and then some).

The Vermont Store carries it on line. My grandmother used that for everything. If you ever get into poison ivy wash with it and it will help to not get the rash.

Blog Entries
    If the old brown stains are from being in contact with wood or paper, I don't think there's anything that will work. Wood and paper products contain an acid that gradually discolors fabric as it eats away. Be careful if this is the case, as the fabric will already be weakened in these areas.

What I'd probably try in order are these. (1) Z'out (Target has it in the laundry section, about $3 for a spray bottle). I'd soak it every hour for a day or so, as it can take some time to work on an old stain. It's very safe and has worked wonders on many stains for me -- especially organic stains like blood. (2) Oxy-Clean. Again, soaking for up to 24 hours. (3) color-safe powdered bleach such as Clorox 2. Again, soaking for up to 24 hours. The powders should be dissolved first in hot water, then diluted with cold water.

Someone here posted a picture awhile back of an auction quilt that was very stained and soiled. She soaked it in detergent in her washing machine for several days, changing the soaking water every day. It came out beautifully!

THANK YOU....

These are rust spots from pins and others I'm sure are from handling etc. No paper spots (those are awful to try to get out).

There is another website "www.quilthistory.com/cleaning.htm" that I like better and it give specific information on types of stains and specific remedies for those stains. I have always used the Fels Naptha or Orvus Soap for the older quilts. There is a specific solution on this website for your type of stain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thedixiedragonfly
    These are rust spots from pins and others I'm sure are from handling etc. No paper spots (those are awful to try to get out).
    Don't be surprised if treatment of the rust spots results in a hole. That's what happened my MIL's old quilt top. I plan to have the area around the messed up pieces scanned and printed on fabric so I can replace the bad parts.

The quilt top was in such bad shape that I ended up washing it in the tub to get about 40 years worth of crud out. Now I have a tangled mess of threads on the back and it will take more than my current patience level to deal with it. I'm thinking of taking it to the dry cleaner to have it pressed and get it in some semblance of order.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2