Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How should I do this?

Blog Entries
    How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I usually do the sides and then the top and bottoms. No reason, that's just what I do.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you. Doing it your way will not skew the dimensions.

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't really matter whether you put sides or top and bottom on first. Traditionally sides are put on first in patterns. I don't know why. are you only using the red for the border or the black as well?

You have to decide the look you want. As a general rule I do sides then top/bottom but I have no idea why.

I've always thought the long sides were put on first to avoid more piecing. If you put top/bottom first then the long sides have to cover them as well. It also gives the top a more finished look - but unless you're going to display it don't see that would matter. Up to you!

Blog Entries
    Your way sounds right if it gives you the look you want. I like the square look of corners especially in a quilt top like yours. :)

It's your quilt; do it the way you want to.

How about using corner blocks in your border - that way it really won't make a difference. Use the stripe for the border (or whatever you were planning on) and the red for the corner blocks. That will tie it in to the overall quilt look.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda71
    How would you do the borders? The pattern says to put on sides and then the top and bottom borders. The blocks are done in the reverse, top and bottom pieces and then sides. I am thinking that I like the look of a long piece across the top.

I don't want to miter them because I want to keep the block- like look. What would you do? Opinions please.
    I do the sides, then the top and bottom, because the length is shorter on the sides if you do them first. I don't like to piece my borders, so sometimes I use the length of the fabric. Then when you put the top and bottom on it is the narrower part and no piecing necessary, but it is your quilt and you can do it however you want. Remember, no quilt police here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast