Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How small of scraps do you save?

I have been cleaning my sewing room and going through scraps. I love to applique, so I save all sorts of scraps, but I am starting to wonder, "How small is too small?" as in is it worth saving all the little pieces? I don't save anything that is less than about 1" by 1" but am thinking that I am wasting my time keeping these. What size is "too small" for ya'll? Bigger pieces go into organizers by color, but these little scraps end up in a big scrap bucket that seems to grow and grow.

Blog Entries
    I save 2" squares and up :D:D:D

I have the same problem, I don't want to throw anything away but not sure what to do with those tiny small scraps. What can I do with the little ones?

If it's at least 1" in width, I save it. They're good for log cabins, postage stamp quilts, crumb quilts, not to mention sometimes you need just the right little bit for an accent when doing applique work. 4" and 5" wide get cut into charm squares. Anything bigger gets put back by color.

too small is when you don't pull it out and use it any more...if it's too small to use for what you do, pass it on, or toss it out...art departments at elementary schools appreciate (craft) supplies for projects, you would be surprised how creative and inspired they can become when suddenly handed a bag of scraps :)

Blog Entries
    they are ALL automatically too small once i have enough to stuff a flat-rate box. then i find them a new home.

I was getting overwhelmed with scraps. I started a quilting group that makes quilts from my scraps and gives them to people who could use the comfort of a quilt.
    I also donate scraps to my local school's art department. This helps with the guilt if I throw something away.

I have to admit that I probably keep most of my scraps because I do a lot of applique. I have 6 clear plastic containers that sit in my cupboard, each one has a different colorway of fabric which makes finding the perfect fabric much easier. I also have a 9 year old who loves folding and sorting them for me which makes my life a bit more organized!

For me its 4" and bigger only. I have to draw the line somewhere. I know many save 2" or smaller but my eyes are not good enough or maybe its my patience that is not good enough to do a block made of squares starting at 2" and growing smaller with seams!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    they are ALL automatically too small once i have enough to stuff a flat-rate box. then i find them a new home.
    My address is....LOL!

One of the most fun projects I ever did was a challenge. We were given a 13 gallon white trash bag full of bits and pieces. Surprisingly, I had very little left once I got done, as I had even used the small bits for the backing and the binding.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast