Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How small is too small? >

How small is too small?

How small is too small?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM

When I originally started to save this was my intent, but DH had a fit when he found out I was encouraging the birds to come visit. They inundate our trees and make a horrible mess and racket, but I like to watch them.

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I save my itty bitty cotton long strips for the birds.. Stuff them in a mesh bag- like the ones you get from the cutie tangerines- hang them outside for their nests..
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM

wouldn't you have to save them forever to make even one dog bed? for a chihuahua?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I just add mine to regular stuffing.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cyhilty
i seen last week where someone was useing all their fabric that they trimed off to make rugs and bowels. they were winding tham around cotton cloth line. sounds pretty neat.
I do this, but with 1" wide strips
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
wouldn't you have to save them forever to make even one dog bed? for a chihuahua?
I already have a grocery size bag of these scraps, took me 6 months to collect this much, so it might take 2 years to have enough for a dog bed.

I like the idea of the making paper as well.

I suppose these could also be used in making nappy wool (I forget what they call this, but it gets wool wet with soap and water and then mat it out to make purses and such.) Anybody here do that?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM

make them into a confetti quilt block.. I saw a tv quilt show that the gal used those things to create a totally cool looking quilt .. just a thought..
An afterthought.. the cofetti quilt I saw wasn't the pattern with the squares, and such. IT was all little bitty cut up scraps, looking like actual confetti. Then she ironed them all onto her applique pattern of whatever shape she wanted, using some kind of spray adhesive soemthing or rather.. The tv show was " sewing with Nancy" or something like that .. its worth a shot to check out if you think thats what you would like to do.. I will button my lip now, unwanted thoughts will stop, lol..
Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
When I originally started to save this was my intent, but DH had a fit when he found out I was encouraging the birds to come visit. They inundate our trees and make a horrible mess and racket, but I like to watch them.

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I save my itty bitty cotton long strips for the birds.. Stuff them in a mesh bag- like the ones you get from the cutie tangerines- hang them outside for their nests..
I love this idea!! I will have to do this. A certain time of year or all year round? My FIL is big into birds in his ard, I give him some.