Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to store fabric and why. >

How to store fabric and why.

How to store fabric and why.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:12 AM

Default How to store fabric and why.

Being a newbie I would be interested in knowing how people store their fabric and why. Is there a method that cares for the fabric best? I've done a search here on QB and it seems that I may be wrong for storing my fabric in closed plastic tubs....am I correct?

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 08-04-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

The problem with plastic is if there is humidity the fabrics can become damp then mold. If you open them, move fabrics around often you can avoid that- and leave the lids off when its very humid. I've used Rubbermaid totes for years. I also have book cases with stacks of fabric. The things to avoid is moisture and sunlight. ( sunlight fades fabrics) refolding your fabric periodically will help avoid permanent creases and faded folds. If you are using/handling your stash regularly most problems are avoided. Long term storage is a whole different situation with other consideration
Old 08-04-2015, 04:23 AM

I store my fabric on open shelves that are NOT affected by direct sunlight. I work from my stash daily so the fabric is moved around, refolded, etc., quite often. The only fabric I store in a tote are large backing pieces and a couple of bolts of white or beige. I hate the smell that the plastic totes give to the fabric. If I had the space, I'd love to have storage cabinets with glass doors but my quilting room (aka The Bat Cave) is very small and I keep a small stash. There are a number of posts on here that show some great storage solutions.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:31 AM

I store mine in plastic and have no problems but I am constantly touching and rearranging. I am with my fabric like Schrooge McDuck is with his money! I love it and play with it!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

​I have mine on mini bolts in a cupboard with doors. It is out of the sun and I can easily find what I am looking for. Fat quarters are stored with the edge up in a drawer.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:54 AM

I have two nice armoires that I purchased just for my fabric stash. Both are comfortably full and I have stopped buying fabric unless I really need something specific for a particular project. When I first started to quilt I spent a lot of money on fat quarters and fq packs. While they are very nice I found that I rarely used them. So I stopped buying those too.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:04 AM

I store my fabric in clear plastic bins, the 27 qt size, not gigantic ones. I've used them for over 20 years and have never had any problem at all with mold, mildew, dampness, fading, stale smells, etc. I am frequently 'in' the bins so they don't just sit around locked up all the time and I also keep a desicant packet in each one to take care of any potential moisture problems. My system is ideal for my space and the way I work.

There are so many different possibilities for fabric storage it can be daunnting, but you're sure to find a solution that works well for you, your fabrics, and your method of working.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 AM

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT create a big stash. Unless you are a daily sewer and have a fabric turn over at a reasonable rate, you will regret having a stash. Styles and print change and your fabric can become old soon. I now recommend people buy what they are going to sew and don't buy again until it is sewn. This is a HUGE money saver and stress relief. When I die my family will sell off my fabric stash at a ridiculous rate. Not sure anyone would buy some of it IF it wasn't really cheap. So sorry I followed the trend and have a big "stash".
Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I like to see what I have when I am searching for a particular shade of color so I use drawers. Tubs you never can see in them and the smell bothers me. I love these drawers but they are not being made any longer.
Attached Thumbnails iris-drawers.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Like imsewnso I sometimes wish I hadn't accumulated so much fabric. I keep my yardage on open shelves, FQ size pieces in little open boxes, and smaller scraps in clear plastic shoe boxes. It would probably be better if I could protect everything from light, but that would mean not seeing the fabric, and that would probably result in my not using it.

The important thing is to protect the fabric from moisture, light, bugs, children with scissors, anything that might harm it. However, as long as you take reasonable precautions, you don't need to obsess over how you store your stash. We all find different solutions that work within our space and budget.