Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to store quilts >

How to store quilts

How to store quilts

Old 10-20-2016, 10:36 AM

Tartan, that is a really good idea.
However you might want to consider some other way to secure the whole thing rather than using a rubber band. Maybe velcro? I used rubber bands to secure some of my longarm patterns and they eventually dried up and ended up sticking to the paper pattern. I now use "Hugo's amazing tape" from Superior Threads which sticks to itself to secure my patterns although I don't know if it would work for your large roll. Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM

A friend of mine whose husband is a carpenter. He has a thriving business of making quilt boxes, ladders, ect. They are just beautiful!
They are your choice of type of wood and style. Mine is Oak,l and has glass panels in the sides and ends.
That was birthday and Christmas about 5 yrs ago., but it was well worth it!
Mariah
Old 10-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jodypeabod View Post
I store my quilts in muslin pillowcases (large ones) that I made for this for this purpose. I do not fold them. I heard on a quilting tv show to never fold quilts. They should be bunched all up and put into the pillowcases. That way they never have fold marks. You should still take them out maybe once a year and re-bunch them. Depending on the size of quilts I can sometimes get 2 or 3 in a pillow case. This is so much easier than folding. I store all the filled pillowcases on a shelf in my closet.
I also use pillow cases to store my quilts but I love the idea of bunching them all up before I put them into the case. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 PM

Have you considered storing them between the mattress and box springs? Someone told me their Mom did that for storing the quilts in the summer.

bkay
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

My cousin and neighbor both have lots of quilts of various ages. They lay them on top of their beds in the guest room and couple dry racks. When they have guests, the guests can decide which one to sleep under. The others are placed across a chair or draped or folded. Saw a photo of my cousins guest room and she had 35 quilts in that bedroom very well placed. She lives in Florida.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Someone I know purchased a gun cabinet with a glass door. It is tall and holds a number of quilts folded and stacked on top of one another.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by IowaStitcher View Post
Someone I know purchased a gun cabinet with a glass door. It is tall and holds a number of quilts folded and stacked on top of one another.
Dang, wish I had seen this a couple of months ago. Local thrift store had 3!! Can't store guns in them without them being stolen!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Here is what I do and it works for me. I roll my quilt width wise, then measure the length of the quilt. I make a long tube type bag with an opening. I measure the width to give me plenty of room to fit the quilt in the bag. I label each bag so I know what's in the bag. Then it goes on top of a bunk bed which is not used very often at all!

I make a string to fit the bag opening out of selvages I've cut from fabric. I double the selvages and sew with my serger. Then I string the selvage through the opening of the bag and tie a bow. Is that clear as mud?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Cut pieces of selvages would work great too. I use them to tie my pantogram patterns and any other little thing that needs to be kept from flying away.