Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to..

How to..

Does anyone know an easy way (easy = not spending a lot of $$) to scan something and print it on fabric? I have a vintage tea towel that I posted about a while back, I want to scan the pictures on it and print them on fabric. I tried this morning and not sure I like the way it came out.

I scanned the towel. Then I took a piece of 8.5x11 piece of fabric and sprayed it with batting glue. Then stuck it to a piece of copier paper and ran it thru my printed (praying that I wouldn't ruin my printed with the glue)
    It came out and I was thrilled.. until I tried to clean a spot with water and it left a water mark. You can see it in the pic, on the right of the print.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    What kind of printer did you use?

If you Google, there are lots of websites that explain exactly how to make printing on fabric colorfast, but there are different methods. Inkjet printers tend to give the best results, but you need to either pre-treat the fabric with a special solution (Bubble Jet, I think) or purchase pre-treated fabric sheets. Laser printers require heat setting.

It's an inkjet printer. I'll go more googling, thanks

Blog Entries
    After you scan it you need to go into the program and using the color controls, up the color to your liking. Then, before you print, go into the printer controls and turn off the thing that says use printer color commands. If you don't this will be washed out looking. Also, I use vinegar and water 2 to 1 mixture. Take an old piece of cloth wet it thoroughly in the mix, wring out and use as a pressing cloth with your iron over the entire piece. This sets the colors. If you still want more color, use the color crayons and set the same way.

Yes, pre-treat your fabric with Bubble JetSet...follow the directions exactly. Also, you can press the fabric to freezer paper to run through your printer and not risk the batting adhesive having an effect on the inks. Here's how.
    http://printandsew.blogspot.com/2009...g-freezer.html
    Last edited by ghostrider; 03-25-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Yep, what everybody else has said.....