Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to teach beginners to quilt >

how to teach beginners to quilt

how to teach beginners to quilt

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Default how to teach beginners to quilt

I am a volunteer quilting teacher for local sr. center. We are an area of many different ethnic groups and languages. Two new enthusiastic Chinese ladies came in yesterday. One of them spoke good English and helped her friend who spoke a few English words. I loved them instantly, but am concerned about showing them how to use rotary cutter. I would feel horrible if one of them got cut seriously. Should I have them use scissors and templates to keep on the safe side? They are both so enthusiastic and seem to learn very fast even though I am having to use a sort of sign language. I have a tendency to talk really fast and am trying to slow down. It is so exciting to see their eagerness to learn. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 AM

I love working with my Chinese friends. They are so eager to learn. Have you considered a "glove" to protect.
Or can you show them a tutorial on using a rotary cutter? If the one speaks good English you should be able to tell
her all the precautions & she can explain to her friend. They will learn just as quickly as anyone. You learned & so
will they. Do not limit them. Have fun.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM

I agree with marilynr, they are Chinese adults, not 5 year old children. I am sure they will understand sharp.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Just tell the one who understands English the best that if they get their fingers in the way of the rotary cutter, it will be the same as getting their fingers in the way of a meat slicer because that is exactly what will happen. Not only will it be a costly trip to the ER but the material will have to be washed and possibly ruined if the blood isn't removed soon enough. I have become very patient with myself when using my rotary cutter.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM

If you let the others use rotary cutters, excluded these ladies would be hurtful. Even if they didn't speak a word of English, they would be able to tell the cutter is very sharp after a simple demonstration.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Olfa has an international website. There are instructions in different languages if her friend wanted to download them, but I'll bet she translates just fine.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Just tell the one who understands English the best that if they get their fingers in the way of the rotary cutter, it will be the same as getting their fingers in the way of a meat slicer because that is exactly what will happen. Not only will it be a costly trip to the ER but the material will have to be washed and possibly ruined if the blood isn't removed soon enough. I have become very patient with myself when using my rotary cutter.
I agree just warn them and show them basic safety - like closing the blade each time you put it down and keeping your fingers up on the ruler and everything will be fine
Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM

The concern is yours and might not be theirs. If you are uncomfortable then supply a Klutz glove for their protection as they learn to use the rotary cutter. Include the proper ways to hold the ruler while cutting.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM

I would supply cut gloves for all students just as a safety measure.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 AM

i use a super gripper suction handle for bathrooms on my templates when i cut so my fingers
aren't in danger.