Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to tie this quilt >

How to tie this quilt

How to tie this quilt

Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Default How to tie this quilt

I made this Magic 16-disappearing-patch or some such name lap quilt for a child. I used a high loft poly batting that was given to me, knowing it would probably be too thick to quilt on my DSM, and backed it with a poly/cotton sheet.

My questions: Should I tie it with 3 strands of embroidery floss, or yarn? Is a square knot the way to go? Dab glue on the knots? Should I tie it at the intersections (tough with seams meeting there) or in the middle of some of the patches? The largest finished square size is 3-1/2". I think this poly batt can probably go 5-6"... What do you think?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.
Attached Thumbnails imgp1386_medium.jpg   imgp1387_medium.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM

I use a surgeons knot when I tie my quilts. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAy...%3DPeaIyAyg_cs

I usually go with Aunt Lydia's crochet yarn when I tie a quilt. http://www.joann.com/aunt-lydia-s-cr.../12377065.html

i also use a cuved needle which helps when tying where multiple seams come together

http://www.joann.com/curved-quilting...eedle&start=11

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 10-17-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure how big your blocks are, but I'd probably do the corners of the blocks and the centers. I have used both crochet thread and regular yarn-either works well (some people even use narrow ribbon, but I'd worry that it would fray). You might look for a bright, variegated yarn since you have many colors. I use a darning needle--it works for me even on the thicker parts. I also use the surgeon's knot.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM

I tried yarn once and found it difficult to pull through the layers. I switched to embroidery thread, which was much easier to use. I think the crochet thread would work as well, also.

That's a very cute quilt, I like it!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:00 PM

I usually use a double strand of crochet thread - a medium weight. I never use yarn. The Lutheran World Relief quilt instructions do not recommend yarn, and those quilts get hard use. A surgeon's knot is good, but I use a specialized knot where the needle does all of the tying -- faster and almost no waste in trimming the ends.

If I were doing your quilt I would do a knot at each sashing intersection, one in the center of the square where the seams meet and also a knot in the center of each sashing leg. The center of each patchwork square would be the only place where it might be harder to pull the needle through.

Adorable quilt and very cuddly!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM

I think tying at each corner of the blocks and then the center would probably be sufficient. I have used floss before but that tends to slip so the knot comes looser eventually. I think the crochet cotton would be a good idea as it does not have the sheen that the floss has. Very nice quilt!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 PM

I love your quilt!

I have tied with DMC embroidery floss, before, and I had to re-do them again because they loosened up after washing the quilt in the washing machine. I had tied them with the surgeons knot, too!

I would probably use crochet thread next time. My grandmother tied her quilts with yarn and they are still holding up even after more than 40 yrs--and we use those quilts year round!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM

I can't contribute tying advice, but wanted to say your quilt is just adorable. Love the patch pattern!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM

When I tie with embroidery floss, I use all 6 threads, I don't like yarn for tying, but crochet thread is okay. I personally tie a lot closer than most people, about every 2 1/2", but that's a personal preference not a necessity. I've never had a problem with my knots coming loose.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 AM

Thanks you all -- I shall watch the surgeon's knot video and get to work!