Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how to trim quilts for binding

Question how to trim quilts for binding

I am fairly new to quilting and have made 3 lap quilts for my bridesmaids as part of their gifts. I have got them all quilted together but have no idea how to trim them up for binding. Do I have to square them up? Do I just cut beside the topper? Please help! Thanks
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: update title to reflect contents

Blog Entries
    Could you post a pic? I do square up the corners and even out the sides according to the borders. Trimming up the sides and making them straight gets the quilt ready for binding.
    Joyce

Squaring up a quilt top is always easier if you can see it being done. Here's a U-Tube video made just for beginning quilters: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlo79fz6P0

And here's a wonderful Quilting Board Post on this very topic: www.quiltingboard.com/.../squaring-up-quilt-top-prior-binding-t937

Hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, please write back! We're here to help! If you do write, a photo of one of the quilt tops would be helpful.

Lucky bridesmaids, getting quilts for gifts! Wish I had been so lucky! Kudos to you for making the quilts, and Congratulations on your wedding. May your marriage be blessed with happiness and longevity.

MacThayer

BTW, very cool gift for the bridesmaids. I am sure they will love it.

Blog Entries
    you can trim a bit off if just a plain border near the edges. not if pieced blocks go out to the edge of course.
    i usually trim 1/4 inch from the edge of the quilt top, leaving a bit of batting showing to fill the binding.

Squaring up a quilt top is always easier if you can see it being done. Here's a U-Tube video made just for beginning quilters: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlo79fz6P0

And here's a wonderful Quilting Board Post on this very topic:
    Squaring up the quilt top prior to binding

Hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, please write back! We're here to help! If you do write, a photo of one of the quilt tops would be helpful.

Lucky bridesmaids, getting quilts for gifts! Wish I had been so lucky! Kudos to you for making the quilts, and Congratulations on your wedding. May your marriage be blessed with happiness and longevity.

MacThayer

here is a pic of one of them. The white all around is the batting and backing that is showing. I'm still lost as to how to trim it all up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Oh, your quilt is soooo pretty. Lucky bridesmaids. Keep watching. Someone will help you.

I am not a pro and my quilts are not perfect but I put the quilt on the floor. I place the cutting mat underneath the side and use the ruler to rotary cut to trim the edge. I try to cut straight lines. I don't enter contests so I am not concerned with it looking perfect. Your quilts are gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    Love the quilt. Those will be a really nice bridesmaid gift.

I'll tell you how I square up my quilts. I have to disclose that I am not a porfessional quilter, I only quilt for fun, so here goes.

I trim the extra batting and backing off even with the top. Then I line up my quilt on my cutting mat and try to square it up with the lines on the mat. I use my 3.5" x 24" ruler, for the sides and top, and my 6.5" square, for the corners, with my rotary cutter to trim off the excess pieces that don't line up. I make it as simple as I can for me.

Have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast