Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use pantographs? >

How to use pantographs?

How to use pantographs?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM

I'm getting brave enough to try something other than a meander pattern on my longarm. Can I get some advice on how to use pantographs? things that maybe youtube videos and tutorials don't cover.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM

I am new at it, but was given a top that really seems to help. Don't look at where you are, look at where you are going. In other words, keep your eyes a bit ahead of the laser light. Your hands will automatically follow. If it's a small enough circle, I am training myself to look at the whole thing, not at any point on the line.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Found this video while looking on there at other stuff..... should give you some good tips!!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-st...achine-232910/

Rachel
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

I'm fairly new to it myself, but here's things I've learned so far:

- buy some cheap fabric and batting for practice. I always practice whatever pattern I'm going to do several times before trying it on my actual quilt. This is also really necessary for getting down how to move (i.e. take steps) without jerking the machine off pattern, which I still struggle with.

- I tried originally doing it with a pointer stick, and found it impossible to do. I use the Grace laser now, and it's awesome -- much easier to follow.

- similar to what Marjpf said, don't think about the exact point that you're at. I try to think of each movement as a whole, meaning if I'm doing an arc, then I make the arc as a whole movement rather than trying to follow the line perfectly/exactly. It's more important that your stitching is smooth, rather than it following the pattern perfectly, IMHO.

- don't grip too hard or get tense, because you'll really start to feel it after a while. My best work is done when I'm relaxed and tension free. Put on some music -- it really helps!

It's funny, my husband expressed an interest in trying a pantograph, so I've been having him practice over the past few days. He's...really bad at it. I thought he'd be quite good, as he's a very serious video game player, and has excellent hand-eye coordination, but he really, really focuses on following the line exactly, which ends up making his stitches/lines come out jerky, rather than smooth. I personally have dreadful hand-eye coordination, but mine look much better than his...I just kind of let my eyes relax and follow the line while zoning out a bit, and it usually comes out pretty darn good.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM

so the fancy plastic patterns from Grace really aren't necessary as long as you have the laser pointer? I've seen some great sites to buy from. Do those come on a paper roll? gosh this is all so new to me:) it's fun but it's like going back to step one in quilting where you have a million questions all at once.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Sorry put the link to the video in my post now.

Rachel
Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Yeah, the fancy plastic patterns are something completely different. It has a stylus that locks into the board, and you just move the machine along to follow that pattern. I imagine the final result is more consistent, but the downside is that a) it's really expensive, and b) they don't have that many boards, so you don't have a lot of choice to work from!

Pantographs are just paper rolls that you buy from sites, that generally range in price from $10 - $20. Sometimes you can buy the electronic version, and print it out yourself -- this is good, because than you can resize the pantograph. And you're exactly right -- you use a laser in conjunction with them and follow along the pattern. It takes some practice, for sure, but I really like it because free-motion quilting makes me nervous...I can't think that quickly ;) But this gives me something to follow; little or no thought required.

Some pantograph sites to check out:

http://www.quiltscomplete.com/
https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies....ex.php?crn=232
http://www.urbanelementz.com
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Found this video while looking on there at other stuff..... should give you some good tips!!

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-st...achine-232910/

Rachel
nice link
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

without running your machine follow the panto using the laser light,
to advance the quilt for the next row, BEFORE rolling, put your needle down at the highest point then roll quilt until the laser meets the bottom of section your needle is in.
I love doing pantos, need to add a few more to my small collection. I started with the groovey boards/ the plastic ones. I have a set of 3 at $45.00 each and use my laser. Now how many pantos can I buy for the same $$$..