Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to use Used Coffee Filters for Art Quilts.

Blog Entries

How to use Used Coffee Filters for Art Quilts.

I have just searched for information on using the used coffee filters to make an art quilt. I saw the FISH quilt using them and have gone through everything but can't find anymore information. Can anyone tell me if you have this a try and what did you learn. I just dug my coffee filter out of the trash and rinsed it and all the coffee stains came out! If you just dry them and sew them down without rinsing, does it continue smelling like coffee? Is this a problem? Have any more photos been posted using used coffee filters? Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    Maybe this thread would be helpful?
    Incredible Fish Quilt from coffee filters

Thanks Prism99 for the link. Coffee Filters, that's a new one for me Maybe it's time to think ART quilts. We could use anything we wanted.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Tea bags aren't washed when they're used in quilts so why would coffee filters need to be? Let it dry and brush the grounds off. You could always use dye or paint, instead of coffee, to color them if you want 'clean'. Several artists do that. Dryer sheets are also used, again painted, dyed, stamped, or otherwise colored...even dryer lint is used. It's a whole different world on the art quilting side of the street.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This is so interesting to me being a non-artistic type...but I'm going to check this out. Lots to learn......
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Blog Entries
    That fish quilt is such a neat quilt. I don't have any information for you, just wanted to chime in that I use filters at the bottom of my planters when I repot my plants, and the filters disintegrate completely with watering over time. Which means you probably don't want to use them in a quilt you plan on washing.