Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How used is "too used" >

How used is "too used"

How used is "too used"

Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM

A big thank you to everyone for all the good advice. Like Maniac stated, there are no guarantees or warranties from buying second (or third) hand. But for the cost difference it is certainly tempting. The one I am looking at is several hundred miles away from me (thank goodness we have a truck to haul it!), has the pro-stitcher, and she said she upgraded the computer on it three years ago from a tablet to a regular laptop. Frame, pro-stitcher, and computer she is asking $10k for it. So.....ugh....so so tempting. But like others, I'd need to find some classes for it, even though I am fairly mechanically savvy. Well....at least my husband, is! LOL
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done all the research, but sounds like a good deal to me. There is a ***lot*** of info on Youtube about how to set up and use a midarm or longarm. It wouldn't bother me that there are no guarantees or lessons. People often travel to longarm classes, which becomes more affordable if you haven't paid full price for a new setup. These machines last a very long time, so 6 million stitches wouldn't faze me. Would want to get a chance to actually sew with it before loading it in the truck, though.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 AM

It does sound tempting... a LQS is selling a 2002 longarm and I'm sure it has been well maintained but it will probably sell before I get my sewing room done over the garage. In the meantime, I too rent a longarm by the hour to complete my larger quilts... but there are limited days and hours available so not always convenient for me and I have to book a date weeks out. I am an early riser so I look forward to having my own machine some day

Last edited by jmoore; 01-28-2016 at 03:37 AM. Reason: add more content
Old 01-28-2016, 04:44 AM

According to Hq's site, the Avante stitches up to 2200 stitches per minute. Take 6 million, divide by 2200, you get the number of minutes it was run (2727) divide by 60 for the number of hours. (45 1/2 hours) My experience with a friend's Gammill is to run it between 50 and 75% speed. Assuming only 50% speed, is still only about 100 hours of run time. That's only 2.5 weeks for a full-time long armer running a business. My conclusion is that 6 million stitches is not many at all.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 AM

lol, I bought a Queen Quilter, speed/stitch regulator, and frame in pieces in a box, at least the frame was. The machine was not set up but I asked the seller to at least plug it in to see if the motor would run..was supposed to be a 2010, it did but tied the thread in knots immediately. In the heat of the moment I said yes, loaded it and brought it home. Had to figure out how to set up the frame, purchase poles and set up machine. THEN, significant other and I had to learn how to time it. No help other than a totally inept manual and the laptop. Not having lessons or help I immediately ran over & cut the cable to the sensor wheels for the stitch regulator. After multiple calls I got a new cable for that , installed it myself. Live in a rural area with NO SERVICE of any kind, am senior citizen, so can't easily load and unload this machine to take for repair or service. Keep in mind this machine is no longer manufactured. Didn't know that when I bought it. Of course, the seller didn't relay that info. Moral of story, do your research, ask a lot of questions & take notes, buy & take lessons, learn as much as you can about maintaining the machine yourself, practice, practice, practice. Keep a positive, can do attitude, a sense of humor and you will do well. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
The one thing to remember is when you buy from a private party, there are no guarantees, no classes or the service of a technician.

That at may be true to a point...but, I purchased an APQS l/a from a private party......then I called APQS letting them know I was the new owner of record...since then have used their tech support without any problems, albeit...just taking head in every 3/4yrs for a spa day......well worth my investment....going on 15yrs with it....and long as it is well maintained by operator, and if there is a problem, address it immediately...should be no problem... Btw..used professionally for those yrs.....
Old 01-28-2016, 08:25 AM

Personally I have been very disappointed in the HQ manuals and videos for my Avante. Dealer support is zero. I paid $9000 and received a photocopied manual with very little instructions and some of it incorrect. I wish now we had bought a used machine where they offered a whole day of training on how to use it. I have learned a very expensive lesson about purchasing machines and the bottom line for me is who you buy it from.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:13 PM

*THIS* is nearly exactly what I am trying to avoid - I have been gifted a Queen Quilter 18 by a friend who is helping her mother downsize. I'm not able to see it/pick it up until the end of September - trying to find out more information about it to see if it is a worthwhile venture. Any and all info and advice accepted
Old 09-01-2020, 04:57 AM

If you can, test the machine run it and see what the stitches look like and check to see if there are any "odd" sounds. The number of stitches would not bother me. Personally I would be more concerned with the ProStitcher tablet. You need to be sure that is runs and can complete a row without an error. You might ask which tablet they have and how old it is. You can call HQ directly (their techs are fantastic to talk to) if there is not a dealer nearby and ask if the tablet is updatable.

Yes HQ has videos as to how to use the longarm as well as the prostitcher if there is not a local dealer. Some are good and some are so so.There are several excellent outside sources for training as well. There is a gal who does online classes (MK Quilts - her main page and MK Quilt University - her online classes) as well as a fantastic supportive group ProSiticher Possee on FB.

Good luck on your choice!!
Old 09-02-2020, 12:32 AM

Good question. I really don't know my long arm brands or how people decide. It makes sense to me to try it out first. My other question would be maintenance - if it needs a repair or servicing, do you know what to do or have a person to go to.