Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How/why did you start quilting? >

How/why did you start quilting?

How/why did you start quilting?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Default How/why did you start quilting?

For me, it seemed like such a logical choice after browsing some magazines and oohing & aahing over some interesting patterns. i sewed everything from clothes to potholders, so why not quilt? They were not only an art, they were useful!

i am curious what made you jump on the bandwagon & make quilts? Let's hear your story!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 PM

I've always done some form of handwork from the time my grandmother taught me to crochet as almost a toddler. I got frustrated with having lots of completed projects that I had no use for in my home. I also enjoy machine sewing and was doing little to none of that. A friend was quilting (piecing as well as quilting by hand). Decided the craft was a great mix of interets for me. I machine piece and hand quilt...perfect blend of interests for me.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

I wanted a quilt and figured it would be cheaper yo make one then buy one. If I calculate all the money I've spent over the years on fabric and tools, I could have bought a heck of a lot of quilts!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 PM

I did a bit of quilting in the mid 80's (2 quilts). Life got in the way - went back to work and hobbies went in the drawer -- fast forward to 2010. My Singer (the wonderful state of the art Futura from the early 80's) was no longer working. When we went to get another machine my requirements were that the machine be able to sew both thin and thick fabric. The sewing machine store showed me the Janome 3160.

When we got home, my husband suggested I do a project in case there was any problem with the machine. So I decide on a quilt. I just couldn't believe how happy it made me. I've been quilting non stop since in spite of workin full time.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM

I started with sewing my own clothes waaayyyy back in high school, based on need! Once I married and had kids, I made most of their shorts and pants, pajamas, and some shirts. I expanded to curtains and drapes then finally made the leap to quilting. It fell away in the 80's when life got in the way. Retired in 09, and started up again. I enjoy the creative process. Don't do much anymore with clothing, unless it's alterations, or repairs.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 PM

I had retired and was subbing a lot when my orthopedic doctor said no more concrete floors and children's chairs, so I had to retire totally. What was I do if I couldn't teach children to read? The Prayers and Squares coordinator from church ask me to make a quilt. Sure, I can sew, I a quilt. What a difference! My first one had partial seams, LOL. But I have enjoyed learning a new skill and still being useful.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 PM

When I was still a kid I loved design shapes and math. I wish I had learned about MC Escherback then. I liked to play with a bit of color and design. The love just percolated and grew.
My first real quilt was when I was awaiting my first born. Then I was into sewing clothes for the kids and myself, recovering a hand me down couch and chairs, and making bedspreads and curtains or drapes. Once I had time and the kids were grown I really got into quilting for therapy. Retirement is awesome as I now have more time to play with all the fabric I want.
By the way, that first quilt was all hand embroidered, appliqued, and then quilted on an antique quilting frame. It was for my son but he never got to use it. It is an heirloom quilt, meant to be displayed after all that work. Definitely not a utility quilt.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

We were staying in a rental -- dark, barely furnished, knew nobody -- while house hunting in Texas. The realtor took me to a cafe in an old home that had a small quilt shop upstairs. I went up, checked it out, fell in love with the instructors, signed up for a class starting the next week, and made a top before we ever even got moved into our new house.

At the end of that 6 week class the instructors took all of their classes/students to the Olde Opry in town and we all showed off our quilts on the stage with a red velvet curtain as background and a microphone to capture our words; we all thought we were really special!! A good time was had by all and I just never stopped being enthralled by the work!

That was in 1982, I think; so long ago, so fulfilling a lifetime.

Jan in VA
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 PM

I come from a long line of makers---and going way back there have been quilters. So while I did lots of sewing of clothing,curtains, etc, I shied way from quilting cause the thought of using scissors & cardboard templates scared me off--and then in 2010 I saw a newspaper article from my local Guild that offered beginner classes for the price of membership. I signed up both myself & my DD, and am now addicted! I am now teaching those beginner classes--have a class of 28-30 starting Sat. and going 7 weeks!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 PM

I wandered into a quilt show as a youngster and the quilts were just breathtaking.

I wanted to learn how to do it and make something nice.

I'll never be that good, but I'm enjoying it. It satisfies my sewing urge. I love to sew but I'm not very good at it.

Lousy with garments.