Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How wide to make the inner border? And ? about the finishing...

I want to put a narrow strip around the quilt before I add the larger border. So far it measures 49" x 41" and I used 5" charm squares (so the squares are now 4.5"). How wide should I make this inner border? And the outer border - I was thinking of making it the same width as a charm - sound ok?

Also, I was thinking of finishing it like another quilt I saw - not stitch in the ditch, but stitching just a bit next to the seams on either side. (So each square would be outlined in stitching). Would I need to use a walking foot for this? I have a generic one but I have no idea if it actually works or even how to use it. :oops:

I usually do a 2.5 inch strip. After being sewed it is 2 inches.

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonohon
    I usually do a 2.5 inch strip. After being sewed it is 2 inches.
    That would work. I like 1 or 1.5" (cut 1.5 or 2) for the inner border. I like the idea of the outer border being the same as the charm squares.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking 1 1/2" or 2" as well for your inner border. If you are going to do a 4 1/2" outer border,I don't think I would want a finished inner border of any more than 2. Can't wait to see some pics of your quilt! I'm sure it will be great!

Blog Entries
    I just made a small lap size top and used a 1" inner border with a 4" outer border.

I am agreeing with the rest.

Blog Entries
    Depending on the pattern of the quilt, I do anywhere from 1"-2 1/2". I like 1" or 1 1/2", but if I wanted the finsihed quilt a little larger I would make my borders larger.

Ok good - I'll play with 1 to 1.5 and see which looks better. :)

How about the quilting part of it - do I need to figure out if the walking foot I have works or should I just try my regular foot? And does stitching next to the seams sound ok?

I'm so excited that I'm actually finishing a quilt! lol!

It is your personal preference. I have used many different widths. Kind of depends on how much bigger I want the quilt and go from there!!

Try your walking foot on a practice swatch and make sure it works properly. You'll be able to tell by the fact that there won't be a pleat of extra fabric when you get to the end of a seam. :)

If you have to use a regular presser foot, try to use one that has the least amount of surface area touching the feed dogs. A vintage quilting foot is ideal - it's a very short foot. Then, adjust the pressure on the presser foot so that if you have your stitch length set to 10-12 stitches per inch, you get 10-12 stitches per inch on your quilt, and then ease off of that pressure very slightly. This helps keep the top from stretching quite so much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast