Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How wide should sashing be for 12 inch blocks?

I am putting sashing between 12 inch blocks. Is there a recommended width? I was thinking 2 inches?? I have made Ohio Star blocks. This is my first traditional quilt top...but nothing I have suggests what width is "normal." I know nothing is "normal" in quilting, but I would like this to look right.

I've been using 2 1/2" sashing.... ?

I don't know the answer but glad you asked the question. I have some blocks from swaps that I would like to get together soon.

Blog Entries
    For me, it depends on the size I want the borders and the finished quilt as to what I do the sashing size.

Sashing can be as wide as you want. Go with whatever your gut tells you and what you think would look good.

For me it depends on the size of the quilt I need and also I take into consideration the size of the pieces in the block. If it has a lot of 1 1/2" pieces I might make it that big. You want your sashing to look like it goes with the quilt, don't make it way off from the size of pieces in block.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    For me it depends on the size of the quilt I need and also I take into consideration the size of the pieces in the block. If it has a lot of 1 1/2" pieces I might make it that big. You want your sashing to look like it goes with the quilt, don't make it way off from the size of pieces in block.
    I agree. :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    This is what I do also, it also dictates whether I sash all of the blocks individually, or use one :D:D:D

“The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

I love this, Amma.:)

Blog Entries
    On the quilt that is hanging out until after Christmas, the sashing strips were cut at 2 1/2 and finished to 2 inches, just like the frames in the blocks. The blocks measured 10 1/2, so they are 10 inch blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast