Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you approach this? >

How would you approach this?

How would you approach this?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Default How would you approach this?

My first post!

I am planning a quilt based on this FootyWorks poster: http://m.pinterest.com/pin/247768416972772146/

I'm not sure the best approach.
I've been quilting about 5 years (machine piecing, EPP, machine applique, and a little bit of needleturn). My first thought was machine applique, but the last time I did large pieces with machine applique, the results were stiff and did not lie flat.

Any suggestions on the best approach?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Machine applique with fusible web? If you don't want it stiff, use a 'lite' version and only the outer 1/4" of each piece and then a satin stitch around the edges.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM

welcome to the boards!!! Most knowledgeable group of people around. I always get my many questions answered.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM

Heat and Bond makes a featherweight fusible. I just used it to make an appliqué quilt and it isn't stiff at all. My appliqué pieces are dachsund shapes that are 4" high X 9" wide approximately. I did a narrow zig zag instead of a satin stitch.

give me a second and I'll post a picture. . .

ok here you go...
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 08-27-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Welcome to the board. I agree with auntpiggylpn. Heat and Bond light works great.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 PM

If this will be large, use fusible just on the outsie 1/2" or so to keep it for being stiff. i learned this from a woman who has won in many national shows. Also, if this is a copyrighted poster, make sure to get permission.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 AM

Couldn't you find a better team?
Make the bottom of top using red and white squares to make the white cross on a red background.
The gun and name would be applique. Letters look at Angie quilts.web site last pictures are pillows with names on using the technique I mentioned and different ideas for shape of lettering.
The gun could be done in one applique with the wheel either on top or behind.

PM
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
Welcome to the board. I agree with auntpiggylpn. Heat and Bond light works great.
I second this and also second getting permission. That looks like it would be copywrighted. Find out who owns the rights and get permission before you start.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 AM

Applique white over the red of your choice.
MaryKatherine
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
Machine applique with fusible web? If you don't want it stiff, use a 'lite' version and only the outer 1/4" of each piece and then a satin stitch around the edges.
Misty Fuse is the lightest (you can even hand quilt through it). You can make your cutting template out of freezer paper, iron it to the front of the fabric (red on white so no shadows), apply the fusible to the back side around the edges. Now you are ready to cut out your pieces following the template drawn on the freezer paper. If you don't want to use any fusible you can omit that part and simply put your cut out red pieces on the white fabric using Elmer's WASHABLE School Glue to hold them in place while you stitch them. At this point remove the freezer paper from the front. When you stitch them down (I use satin stitch so it is machine wash and dry) be sure to use a stiff TEAR AWAY or wash away stabilizer behind the piece. It will help keep everything nice and flat and give you an extra way to grip the piece as you stitch. I use a nice heavy paper used for covering problem walls before putting on the wall paper (wall liner) but not the WOVEN stuff, I want it to fall off as I stitch or at the very least pull away very easily after stitching. I would suggest you try this first with just one of the letters in the size you plan to use to make sure it is what you want and easy enough for you to do. You can always ask more questions if you have them, I do this a lot. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by applique; 08-29-2013 at 04:53 AM.