Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how would you handle this? >

how would you handle this?

how would you handle this?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Return it to the person who gave it to you and explain what she needs to complete before it can be quilted. This is not your problem and she is not learning if you do it for her.
I ditto this, Not your problem, you donated nearly all the material. Why should you buy more,do more for her to have the profit. Just give it back and tell her what murphy said. But don't give in if she starts to whine. :thumbup: BillsBonBon
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 AM

I agree with everyone. Is she offering you anything for your work cutting, quilting, and fabric? If she is not happy then you can surely find more appreciative friends.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Gee, isn't life full of learning experiences. I have been in a few similar situations when sewing for hire over the past 35 years and have tried many ways of dealing with customers/friends. Been there... been the doormat, been resentful about it. Thank God for maturity and the truth. That is where I would begin, with the truth. Calmly, directly, with only as many words as it takes (no rambling, no whining, no detours, highlights only) tell her your feelings (or read it as others suggested) about how this quilting "adventure" has played out and that you are no longer interested in participating. Sure, it may cause a rift. But if she is really your friend and you have dealt with her in truth and love, she may go home and think it over and come away with a greater respect for you. If she never speaks to you again, at least you have been true to yourself and gained a new skill of communicating directly in an awkward situation.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM

I agree 100% with Murphy
Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Sounds to me like this person is a "user". Return the quilt to her and tell her and tell her to find someone else. Apparently she didn't show it to you as she was working on it so you could give her advise on how to do it right. What a mess you got yourself into. And I take it that she didn't offer to pay you for quilting it either! I'd steer clear of getting into that situation again.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM

#1 she is not a friend a friend would not treat you like this.
#2 you are not in any way obligated to quilt the thing as you never told her you would make her a quilt you told her you would help learn how to quilt.
#3 there is not much you can do about her selling it with the fabric you gave her as she saw it as a gift.
#4 If you let her treat you this way this time she will think its alright to treat you this way another time;
Dealing with people like this is very difficult they are users and are always looking for another poor soul to get to do their bidding. Don't confront her when you are up set write down what you want to say cll her on the phone and tell her"Due to the way the quilt is sewn you are unable to quilt it for her. But even is you could do it you are too busy working on a quilt of your own and do not want to take on anymore projects at this time. (DO NOT ENABLE HER TO USE YOU SHE IS A USER) JMO
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM

I agree with Murphy.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Terrible that she put you in this situation. I agree with everyone else that you should return it to her and offer some suggestions about how to finish and clean it up before she takes it to a LAQ.
Just because we quilt we are often put upon by others to do things that we are not comfortable with. I have a friend that has lost a lot of weight and wants me to alter her clothes for her. I sew as well as quilt, but would rather make something from scratch than alter. She says: All it needs is a seam down the back! I don't think so! lol
Where do people come up with their ideas? I told her that I don't do alterations, but she still mentions it.
How would you handle that?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I'd return it to her because she does sound like the type that would blame any problems on you.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM

There are users and then there are users.

Unless she had been willing to purchase some fabric for the quilt, she would have gotten nothing from my stash.

I would return it to her with a note that it was not in a quiltable condition at this time.

My experience with quilters is that they are a giving and sharing group, but that does not make us patsies.