Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you handle this,...UPDATE >

How would you handle this,...UPDATE

How would you handle this,...UPDATE

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Just thought I would let you know how I actually handled this situation. Thank you all again for your support and encouragement, it really empowered me to stand up for myself, while maintaining everyones dignity.

I printed out the list of requirements that a quilt top needs to be ready for the long arm. I also brought along my own work to show what a properly done top should look like. She actually listened and seemed eager to finish her work. This was Friday night. By Sunday she brought it back thinking she was done. I refused to accept it because it was only slightly better than when I brought it back to her. I then told her that I no longer wanted the responsibility of quilting it, and that maybe a more experienced long arm quilter could handle a top like this with many potential problems. I then gave her a list of long arm quilters in the area. She seemed quite dumbfounded, but couldn`t really find an argument to what I had said, because of the way it was presented. I no longer have the headache, thanks to all of you!

From the Original Thread
I have a friend or shall we say an aquaintence, who really wanted to make a quilt and asked me to help her. I agreed because at the time I was just learning myself. She picked a pattern out of a book she had and we got down to work. Unfortunately she had very little fabric to put towards it and did not want to buy any. I would say 90% of the fabric came from my stash. I cut it all and left it for her to sew, as I was going to do the quilting. This was about 2 years ago. She dropped it off for me to quilt a few weeks ago. She has been calling to push me to get the quilting done, because she says she has sold it to a friend for $400. Don't get me wrong its great that she has sold it, but let me tell you what she left me with. She did not match alot of her seams, she did not press anything, and she has not clipped her threads. It is a total mess. I spent 3 hours on it this morning trying to press it and clip threads and I am not even halfway there. This is a twin size quilt and I do not feel comfortable with quilting this size on my home machine. I can rent a longarm for $50/4hours. I have to still buy batting and backing . The friend has left a deposit of $100, which will pay for the rental and other supplies still needed, but I don't think I should be left cleaning up this mess. It won't matter to her because she is not quilting it, but what I am most worried about is the mess of the seams not being pressed as she went, causing a problem while quilting and maybe even putting a hole in the quilt. I don't know the person that bought it, or what their expectation will be of it when finished. This friend is very opinionated and will not hear me even if I try to tell her gently. I am thinking of telling her that the place where I rent the machine will not let me quilt it in that condition. If only she didn't have to be so difficult, I am not into confrontation, but I also don't feel that it should be my job to clean up her mess. What would you do?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Great job!! Sounds like you handled it well!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 PM

You go girl!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Good for you!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Very nicely done....clear, concise and nobody got their knickers in a twist.

Good for you. You took care of the problem exactly right, and now it is no longer your problem.

Reward yourself somehow. You sure deserve it.

I am so glad you spoke up and got out of this mess. this is a lesson for all of us not to get into a mess like this.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

awesome, you did a great job of handling that!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM

way to go we (women in general) need to speak up more often. we so often just say yes and have to work harder than needed. I am so proud of you.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

I hope you give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done!