Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this?? >

How would you quilt this??

How would you quilt this??

Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 AM

I would actually use a camel colored thread. it would look like a gold on this quilt. Just do an all over pattern such as a meandering or SID is just fine..It will make it a cozy quilt.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Camel colored thread. (Superior Threads Number 405)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 AM

I might stitch 1/4-inch on both sides of every seam. I would use a neutral color that blends with the colors in rhe quilt. Just my humble opinion.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Very carefully. Sorry but I just had to say that. :D It is a very pretty quilt and would like to see it when done.
Hope you don't mind my sense of humor.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 AM

stitch in the ditch black thread to match the back
Old 10-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
since the walking foot is for straight lines- either stitch in the ditch or cross hatch would be good choices.
There is a new walking foot by Viking but it also fits other machines; it's called an interchangeable walking foot. You can reverse, zig zag and do the fancy stitches with it as well. It has several different feet that you can get in addition to the straight and zig zag foot that comes with it. I've gotten the 1/4 in and rolled hem one in addition so far. I don't remember what all machines it's compatible but a google search would show it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 AM

I like the caramel color idea with stitch in the ditch. I think an overall pattern would lose your design. Just my opinion
Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 AM

That is a beauty! Has a warm and snuggly look :) Great job!

Do you have any embroidery stitches? I can still use my walking foot on my machine with embroidery stitches - have done a few quilts where I use a variety of the fancy stitches - sometimes just inside a seam, sometimes right on a seam (the stitches are wide enough that this really stabilizes everything), sometimes down the middle of a strip.

So my suggestion would be to use a honey/caramel thread as suggested, do a few different fancy stitches down and across each row. Another line either in the middle or just on the outside of the narrow border.

Have fun!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM

Since the quilt is all straight lines, I would try something circular or swirly in a thread color that will mostly disappear into the print of the fabrics. If you want a puffier look, SITD would work, but is harder to do and make look ok. Even a panto in almost any design would work because of the neutrality of the quilt pattern, so in my opinion, you have lots of choices. The quilt is very pretty, love the colors.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
That is a beauty! Has a warm and snuggly look :) Great job!

Do you have any embroidery stitches? I can still use my walking foot on my machine with embroidery stitches - have done a few quilts where I use a variety of the fancy stitches - sometimes just inside a seam, sometimes right on a seam (the stitches are wide enough that this really stabilizes everything), sometimes down the middle of a strip.

So my suggestion would be to use a honey/caramel thread as suggested, do a few different fancy stitches down and across each row. Another line either in the middle or just on the outside of the narrow border.

Have fun!
Yes, I have some decorative stitches, is that what you are referring to? If so, I've often used my Serpentine stitch lined up with the center of the seam or with diagonal lines one or both directions.

I think you and other posters that have suggested a carmel/honey color of thread are right on. I just happen to have some here. :thumbup: Thanks so much.