Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this ? >

How would you quilt this ?

How would you quilt this ?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Power Poster

I think the piecing is so strong on its own - I think stitch in the ditch with black thread along all the black pieces would be perfect.

Sometimes less is better! (IMO, of course.)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 PM

I did stitch in the ditch on all black sashing even in the blocks. It kept it looking like a stain glass window.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Please don't use white thread on this beautiful quilt! I would first SITD (every stinking seam, to quote Cindy Needham) and then determine whether the quilt needed more quilting. If so, I think I would stick to straight line stitching, either using black or matching the thread to the patches being quilted. Normally I would try to introduce curved lines to offset the strong lines of the design, but in this case I think more straight lines would be ideal.
I think we both took the same Craftsy class, In my sleep - "every stinking seam" :-)
Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I would also stitch in the ditch with black thread on each side of the black fabric. That should be enough quilting for this wall hanging. Very pretty: looks like stain glass.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 AM

I'll be watching to see what you decide to do on this lovely quilt. I love stained-glass type blocks and yours look great. Post again when you have finished quilting it. I would keep my thread black also, not white or yellow.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 AM

I recently saw a quilt which had FMQ but with a design looking like mountain peaks staggered at the peak and with a thread the same color as the fabric but a different shade lighter or darker. I think it would look nice on this quilt if you think it needs more quilting. (which I think it does from the picture. Don't go over the black, just inside each segment. I do have pictures on my cell phone and wil try to post if you would be interested)

Last edited by gmcsewer; 09-24-2015 at 05:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer View Post
I recently saw a quilt which had FMQ but with a design looking like mountain peaks staggered at the peak and with a thread the same color as the fabric but a different shade lighter or darker. I think it would look nice on this quilt if you think it needs more quilting. (which I think it does from the picture. Don't go over the black, just inside each segment. I do have pictures on my cell phone and wil try to post if you would be interested)
Yes would like to see them.
Thanks
gmcsewer
Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 AM

I won't offer any more advice on the quilting - all the previous threads have given you lots of ideas I'm sure - just wanted to say for a 'newbie' quilter that is one very good quilt - love your colour choices a very big well done.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Because it is so angular, I would probably do a wavy pattern thru the sashing. Then a decorative stitch thru the black areas within each block. I would probably use black thread, but if the backing is solid black, I might use something a bit different in the bobbin. Nice looking - for a beginner, you did a great job. I love to start my students on this type of quilt - maximum impact with minimum matching!!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM

I agree with SITD on the sashing, and along all the black lines.

Then I would either leave it if I looks done or use a variegated thread similar to the colors randomly in the colors. Nothing too heavy, but different in each to give the fabric more of a glass look, simulating the pigment swirls in many stained glass pieces.