Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilts this please >

How would you quilts this please

How would you quilts this please

Old 11-03-2015, 08:45 AM

That is probably one of the most gorgeous tops I've seen this year. I don't send out my quilts. My language deteriorates as I wrestle the quilt through my little machine, but I get it done eventually. I'm probably wrong, but I'd think about echo quilting and then grid the negative space to make little diamonds. I really like the result of grid quilting and the resulting diamond look, use a high loft batting to make it really stand out. Takes a lot of time and watching to be sure the lines are exactly straight, but I like the result.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 AM

I don't have any suggestions for you on the quilting, but wanted to tell you your quilt top is just stunning! My only advise would be to sit down with a longarmer and brainstorm, or maybe make several copies of a picture of the top and try different designs on those before you make a decision.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Your top is absolutely beautiful. One thing I would demand (but be prepared to pay a premium for it) is SID of the main elements of your piecing. Ditching will help to emphasize the design of the patchwork and really make this quilt shine. If the LAQ of your choice won't ditch it then keep looking for one that will. I would also recommend dense background fills. Be advised that any quilting done in your border fabric won't show much because it is such a busy fabric. So perhaps a simple beadboard would work best in that area.

Another item to emphasize the patchwork and de-emphasize the quilting is to use a fine thread that will blend in. Such as silk or Invisifil. Silk and invisifil sink down into the fabric so you don't see thread only the texture left behind. I used Invisifil on this quilt. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t265846.html

The LAQ could also use thread like So fine or Bottom Line

In addition to looking at Green Fairy's quilting (Judi Madsen) I would also look at Karen McTavish. Karen specializes in Victorian style feathers and does such amazing work, she would surely compliment this top to the Nth degree. Other quilters to consider are Margaret Solomon Gunn's work (Mainely Quilts of Love) and Bethanne Nemish (White Arbor quilting). All of them are award winning quilters who do drop dead gorgeous work. Google them their blogs or websites should come up for you.

Be prepared to mail the quilt out. There may not be a local LAQ near you that is willing (or able) to do what you want done. Keep looking until you find the right one.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-03-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 AM

When I'm looking for inspiration I do a Pinterest search. Also there is a quilter on this board that does such beautiful work that I go look at her posts. She is Chrisma...as least I think that's how she spells it. She posts her pictures on the Picture part of the quiltingboard and truly a master at what she does.

Good luck on your quilt. I have one of my one that's driving me nuts right now. I'm doing each block differently and wished I'd NEVER started doing it that way because with each block I take about 2-3 days of anxiety before I just begin quilting . LOL
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Thank you so much for the very detailed information! Question for anyone... can you SID when it is paper pieced and the seams are pressed to each side, is SID really in the ditch?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM

I hate to recommend custom work because I know how expensive it is, but I just can't imagine anything except SITD for such a beautiful, intricate quilt top.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
Thank you so much for the very detailed information! Question for anyone... can you SID when it is paper pieced and the seams are pressed to each side, is SID really in the ditch?
As I understand it, it's not actually SID for long arm work anyways. It's ruler work. And yes, you can SID on domestic or LA with seams pressed open. Having come from a home dec/garment sewing background, when I started quilting I pressed all my seams open & you can still stitch in that seam line. It's not as easy on a domestic to SID without seams pressed to the side & the quilting is slightly more visible, but it can be done.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

If seams are pressed open, I recommend stitching close to the ditch.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Susan7639 View Post
Absolutely. In fact it is preferable when seams are pressed to one side. The ditch is actually the low point of the seam.

When seams are pressed open the LAQ can not SID but will have to stitch a threads width over to one side. If they do not, they can compromise the integrity of the piecing by breaking the piecing threads. Most LAQ prefer seams pressed to one side as opposed to open.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Gorgeous quilt