Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you sew a single color sashing? >

How would you sew a single color sashing?

How would you sew a single color sashing?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Default How would you sew a single color sashing?

Hi, hoping for opinions.

I am using a single color for sashing between blocks. I've put it together but am ripping it out because the color of the sashing just isn't right. Yes, I am neurotic. (Thankfully, there are only nine large embroidered blocks in the quilt,)

Anyway, I put the sashing strips on the right and left sides of the blocks and then put a single strip of fabric/sashing between the sets of blocks (very easy since I didn't have to match seams). But - since I'm redoing the sashing - and since I plan to SITD around the blocks - would you use a cornerstone, even though it would be the same as the fabric being used for the sashing?

I'm thinking that - even though it's more work - it will look more balanced and provide a seam in which I can SITD to move from block to block.

I don't think it looks BAD the way it is, but I'd certainly not stitch across the strip of sashing it to get to the next block. And I do want it to be as nice as it can be since it's for DS' girlfriend's 21st birthday

Appreciate your thoughts,
Cathy
Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 AM

It sounds pretty either way, but if I was doing it I think I would go with the cornerstone. If you are doing it as a gift I think it would look nicer. Good luck with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM

If I can I always use cornerstones (even if they are the same fabric). It makes it much easier to line up the blocks in each row. If I am using one solid sashing piece to put the rows together then I have to mark where it should match up with the block and hope the marking is still there when I get to pinning. There seems to be something about that seam that just makes it look more balanced.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks to both of you for replying. I hadn't thought about using the cornerstones to line up. Makes a lot of sense.

Now I have multiple justifications for replacing the sashing! Funny how I always tell everybody else to trust their instincts and have so much trouble trusting my own.

Thanks again,
Cathy
Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Hi, hoping for opinions.

I am using a single color for sashing between blocks. I've put it together but am ripping it out because the color of the sashing just isn't right. Yes, I am neurotic. (Thankfully, there are only nine large embroidered blocks in the quilt,)

Anyway, I put the sashing strips on the right and left sides of the blocks and then put a single strip of fabric/sashing between the sets of blocks (very easy since I didn't have to match seams). But - since I'm redoing the sashing - and since I plan to SITD around the blocks - would you use a cornerstone, even though it would be the same as the fabric being used for the sashing?

I'm thinking that - even though it's more work - it will look more balanced and provide a seam in which I can SITD to move from block to block.

I don't think it looks BAD the way it is, but I'd certainly not stitch across the strip of sashing it to get to the next block. And I do want it to be as nice as it can be since it's for DS' girlfriend's 21st birthday

Appreciate your thoughts,
Cathy

the way I generally do sashing is to attach the sashing on the bottom and on the right side. When those blocks are set together, that leaves the very top pieces and the very left pieces without a sash which I then add.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Hmmm...that's an interesting way of doing it, Grannie. I haven't seen it before. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Hmmm...that's an interesting way of doing it, Grannie. I haven't seen it before. Thanks for the suggestion.
ditto ... that's the way I did all my FWS quilt, two sashings and one cornerstone onto each block. Then join them together, and you just have the outer edge ones to add it too. Plus, if you do it as you go, you don't have the onerous task of adding them later.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

When I use sashes I put them on the inner blocks, when I'm done I put the outside sashes on - like borders.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I would not use cornerstones for sashing when both the cornerstones and sashing are the same fabric. It's unnecessary and, in my opinion, doesn't add anything to the quilt.

For lining up, what I do is sew all the short sashings on first, creating rows of blocks. Then I sew the long sashing on to the bottom of the first row. Before continuing, I turn this row over and use a pencil and ruler to mark the seam lines all the way to the remaining raw edge of the long sashing strip. When attaching the second row, I pin first, lining up the seams on the second row with the marks on the first row's sashing. When sewing, ease or stretch as necessary to get the marks and seams to match. This will ensure that all the blocks will line up when you are finished. It is the same concept as using cornerstones, but without the extra sewing.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

If you want to use cornerstones why not make them a different color, one that is in the body of the quilt. It would be a very nice touch and add another demension to the quilt. Keeping the CS the same color is finfe if you want to but not really needed if the same color. You can sew accross a sash to another block without ther being a seam to follow. The choice is yours.
Would love to see a pic!
peace