Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM

I would say thank you very much, how thoughtful of you to make me a quilt. Then I would use it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 AM

It's a complete wreck....but I love it because he did the best he could with his knowledge. I think it helped him work through the grief of losing his wife of 50 yrs.

Oh....how sweet.....I love him....and want him for my very own Uncle!!! This quilt would be on the back of my couch...end of my bed...somewhere on display!!! and my friends would be told the story EVERY TIME they came in!!!

Tears are running down my face as I think of this man cutting up his love's clothing to give to everyone who knew her...shame on anyone who would look down on this man's grief......
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM

I think out of respect for all the work and energy put into making me a quilt - regardless if it "my color scheme" or if it "tickled my fancy" - I'd say thankyou for it and show appreciation toward the person who made it - they made it with love for you - not for the heck of it - I"m positive of that - so regardless of how it is, like another post before this - put it between two blankets to keep you warm, or use it on a guest bed the same way - if you really can not stand it on your bed, guests can't be choosy when they visit - and who knows, they might just love it!!! I just would never let the quilter know I did not like it; show enthusiasm and gratitude and then when you have your gifted quilt all to yourself, begin the wonder of how you'll use it - or where you'll put it - but NEVER NEVER show disappointment to a gift that has costed the person $, let alone time and energy to make it and obviously thought you'd like it - it is not worth putting that person through the hurt of knowing it was not to your taste. More than likely, it will be the only quilt you'll ever receive from them, so suck it up and grin and bear it! Life is not so important that all has to be all one way - it can bend a little too.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM

I am a country bumkin. I used to live in N.J. always dreamed country life. I now live in eastern AZ. My father in law is retired and builds rustic furniture for family. I have different types of wood. It may be different, but, together gives a warm cozy feeling. If someone went to the trouble to make me a quilt that I didn't care for, I would most likely put it in our guest room, spare room, use it as a lap quilt. I would never be able to tell anyone, their taste in colors are not my choice, after all it's a gift.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

If someone gave me a gift of a quilt that was the wrong colors or design to me, I would accept it graciously, and then I would use it on a bed as it was intended, as a quilt, and not for a bedspread. Then no one would know the colors weren't of my choosing, and that I still appreciated the quilt by using it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

My grandmother quilted and so I grew up around quilts. Almost all were scrap quilts. Some used my grandfather's old work shirts and his night shirts. All were beautiful. I guess I don't think of quilts as display items. They are for wrapping up in and snuggling. In my mind it isn't possible to make one that is the wrong color or design. There are just people who don't appreciate quilting.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 AM

My grandmother made beautiful quilts. When she died she left several blocks of the 1950s "Maple Leaf" for a quilt she never made. The blocks were beautiful. My sister took them and had them put together and handquilted. There were 3 of us girls and my sister wanted the quilt rotated each year among us. When I saw the finished quilt I wanted to cry. All of the blocks were sewn together, no plain blocks in between or any sashing to set them off. It was a hodge podge. The sister who had it put together has since died and the quilt went to me. I showed it to my other sister for her "turn" and she refused to have it because it really was ugly. I am the only one of the 3 of us who quilts and I am thinking seriously of taking the quilt apart and lay it out the way I think my grandmother would have done it because she had made the same quilt pattern several times. It would be quite a job, but I think my grandmother would not like this quilt. Should I try to make it into the quilt it deserves to be?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM

I've never had that problem yet, but if I was gifted a quilt, I would thank them so much for thinking of me, and taking the time and expense for the quilt. If it wasn't my colors, etc., then I would put it on a spare bed, if I didn't have a spare bed, then I would donate it to a homeless shelter.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM

You know, I have to think about this. I gave a quilt that I loved to my DIL and it has been totally trashed. Again, it was a gift; and I cannot chose how it should be used. It hurts, but that's life. I just try to appreciate the fact that someone has thought about me enough to make a gift. That is a biggie!! Happy New Year to all of you lovely people on this lifeline.
Judy
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 AM

I think I would just love the quilt anyway. Years ago my Mother made me a tulip quilt made from double knit in greens and colors that I don't really like. I love that quilt because she made it. I carefully rolled it and put it in a pillowcase. It is in a cedar chest that was her's and I think about that quilt a lot. She passed away in 1986 so it is definately a treasure I just don't like the fabrics or colors but will keep it and when I pass away it will be my son's. I only have one son and I shudder to think what is going to happen to all my beautiful(some not so beautiful) fabric that I have collected.