Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to wrap and store stash.

How to wrap and store stash.

What do you use to wrap your material around for storage?

Nothing. I just fold the fabrics to fit in a large plastic bin (66 gal?). Since the plastic is colorless, I can see the individual fabrics in the bin without opening it.

Blog Entries
    I bought acid free foam core boards at the Dollar Tree and then cut them into pieces that were 5" x 11". I then folded my fabrics selvage to fold and wrapped them around the boards. I secure them with the large coated paper clips and they stand up on my shelves. I got 9 or 10 boards out of each sheet and I bought 40 sheets; used everyone of 'em too!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Alaskasunshine has a tutorial on QB on making mini bolts for fabric folding out of foam core. Some QB members order acid free comic book boards to wrap their fabric on.

Don't wrap it on anything. Just fold it neatly and put it on the shelf or in the drawer--where ever it belongs. Don't have enough money or room for extra foldy gadgets.

I decided long ago to use my money on more fabric, not cardboard or plastic, so I just fold it and stack it on the shelf. By color, of course. No other system. When I need a color, I just bring the whole stack to the work table, play till I'm done, then refold and put it away. It's not the best system but I do have a big stash and this gives me a chance to find (again) fabrics I'd forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts View Post
    I decided long ago to use my money on more fabric, not cardboard or plastic, so I just fold it and stack it on the shelf. By color, of course. No other system. When I need a color, I just bring the whole stack to the work table, play till I'm done, then refold and put it away. It's not the best system but I do have a big stash and this gives me a chance to find (again) fabrics I'd forgotten.

Ditto but I do use a 6 1/2 inch ruler to ruler fold it. Neat, clean and less bulky when I fold it. I also do this with unquilted tops

I have my longer cuts of fabric wound on foam core and some on coroplast. I absolutely hate stacks of fabric. I hated having to drag out the whole stack to get the fabric I wanted. Now I can pull out any fabric without disturbing another fabric. It's always neat.

I started off with the boards Clotilde sold but they were expensive. So then I found the lady here on the board that sold basically the same thing and got some from her. Then I found the foam core at Dollar General and now I just cut them myself.

The fabric on boards doesn't take up any more space than the stacks did. And neither coroplast or foam core add much weight at all.

I folded around a ruler, stacked neatly, it is still neat Love seeing every single fabric I own at a glance. I think it was 2008 when I did it.

I'm with Hopetoquilt. I wrap around the ruler, slide the ruler out, and stack the fabric on the shelves. I can see right away what I have, and my DH doesn't know just how much fabric I do have on the shelves. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast