Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Fusion Tension???? Help!!! >

HQ Fusion Tension???? Help!!!

HQ Fusion Tension???? Help!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

I am about to lose my mind. I love my machine, and have been spoiled because I have seldom had any tension issues. That is until recently...I have been fighting with my machine and it has begun to be a war zone. I either want to sit in the corner and cry, or I want to sit in the corner and throw things. I finally have the bobbin tension and the top tension where they look really good together for more than just a few stitches. The problem is that now after about 2 or 3 minutes the thread will break. It is so much fun..NOT!!! What I am wondering is, even though the bobbin tension is correct, would it work if I loosened both tensions just a little so they still like each other-but don't have as much pressure on the thread? We had several days with higher humidity than we are used to and I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I am just running out of ideas. I have called customer service a couple of times, so I thought I would see if anyone has any other ideas.
Even Molly, my little poodle knows I am frustrated and keeps going to the other room to sleep.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Do you use a TOWA to check your bobbin tension? I like it as it is better than just using my hands.

Just a thought.

ali
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

I know how frustrating that is...a few months back I was having trouble it was a different issue..but I had to get a new tensioner.
I have a different machine. But I was wondering if you tried changing the needle size?

Sometimes if you go up or down a size that keeps the thread from breaking. I happen to be a really fast quilter ( fast movement) I use a bigger needle with a smaller thread just so I can go 100 MPH and not worry about thread breakage. You may want to try that. :wink:
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

when did you change your needle last?
quite often when we are having tension issues- or uneven skipped stitches- or thread breaking a simple new needle will fix it all
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 AM

Clean out all the fuzz - thoroughly.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I changed the needle and did clean it well, but I will change the siZe of the needle and see what heppens. Thanks so much.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Here are my suggestions.
1. change your needle - this one may have a burr where the eye was punched out.
2. double-check that nothing is impeding the thread path - run a piece of dental floss through your tension disks and the bobbin.
3. replace your thread. I was using Superior Rainbow and it kept shredding, so I switched to King Tut and that solved it.
4. freeze your thread. I know it sounds weird, but a quilting friend was having a similar issue, she contacted the manufacturer and stuck the cone in the freezer PER THE MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTIONS. Worked fine after that.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charismah
I know how frustrating that is...a few months back I was having trouble it was a different issue..but I had to get a new tensioner.
I have a different machine. But I was wondering if you tried changing the needle size?

Sometimes if you go up or down a size that keeps the thread from breaking. I happen to be a really fast quilter ( fast movement) I use a bigger needle with a smaller thread just so I can go 100 MPH and not worry about thread breakage. You may want to try that. :wink:
Thanks so much, I switched to a larger needle and I still need to tweek the tension a little but it is soooo much better.