Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HST Ideas

do a google search for half square triangle quilts...OMG the images you will see!
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

For clarification--------------I use the term 9 patch to refer to any pattern that has a 3 main pieces by 3 main pieces pattern. And for 4 patch, any pattern that uses 4 main pieces by 4 main pieces. Each of those pieces may include more than just a couple pieces.

In my files, even the beloved Charpenter's Wheel is listed as a 4 patch, since it can be done as 4 separate patches.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

There are a zillion things you can do. One of the best books I purchased (quite some time ago) was Triangles on a Roll: Old and new ways of using Half and Quarter Square triangles.

Follow up on my comments on ways to use HST----------

Once again, I am going to recommend my favorite, "go to" book for quilt designs. Wonderful source for the old standards. I've never gotten any positive response from posters here, but that's their loss. Quite a few copies of this book are available used from Amazon.

I will warn you, this paperback book is one that the pages are glued to a spine. After laying the book open to copy pages, they tend to loosen from the spine. I use mine so much that I simply bought the page saver sheets and put all the pages into a loose leaf folder. Really does come in handy when needing a pattern copied or to show someone.

One Thousand and One Patchwork Designs (Paperback)
    by Maggie Malone
    U N T I E

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    GrannieAnnie,
    I'm so sorry you feel you've had no positive responses here on the board. I believe it happens that so often when someone agrees, they simply don't post. It's like the negatives about a business -- where you hear all the complaints but rarely the kudos if they are doing things right.

Maggie Malone's book is a wonderful oldie but goodie, thanks for mentioning it.
    You can take these "spine bound" paperbacks to places like Kinkos and have them spiral bound or hole-punched for putting into a binder; makes these books easier to use.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I like the one posted by Jan.

GrannieAnnie, I just ordered the book you recommended from Amazon for $.99. They had them as low as $.01, but there was no description of the condition, so I sprung for the $.99 one. I'm sure I'll like it. As a relatively new quilter, I appreciate voices of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Follow up on my comments on ways to use HST----------

Once again, I am going to recommend my favorite, "go to" book for quilt designs. Wonderful source for the old standards. I've never gotten any positive response from posters here, but that's their loss. Quite a few copies of this book are available used from Amazon.

I will warn you, this paperback book is one that the pages are glued to a spine. After laying the book open to copy pages, they tend to loosen from the spine. I use mine so much that I simply bought the page saver sheets and put all the pages into a loose leaf folder. Really does come in handy when needing a pattern copied or to sh

One Thousand and One Patchwork Designs (Paperback)
    by Maggie Malone
    You can also have a book spiral-back bound at a copy center. Gina

Blog Entries
    I like the one Jan posted, and this is another fave. It's called the Depression block, you can do it scrappy.

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

Name:  redo.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  251.6 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  15.6 KB

Blog Entries

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I like the one Jan posted, and this is another fave. It's called the Depression block, you can do it scrappy.

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DepressionBlock.html

Name:  redo.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  251.6 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  15.6 KB
    Life got in the way of my starting the carpenter's wheel I was thinking of doing, already did one. Now I am going to do this Depression quilt. Everyone has been so very helpful.
    True4uca

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    GrannieAnnie,
    I'm so sorry you feel you've had no positive responses here on the board. I believe it happens that so often when someone agrees, they simply don't post. It's like the negatives about a business -- where you hear all the complaints but rarely the kudos if they are doing things right.

Maggie Malone's book is a wonderful oldie but goodie, thanks for mentioning it.
    You can take these "spine bound" paperbacks to places like Kinkos and have them spiral bound or hole-punched for putting into a binder; makes these books easier to use.

Jan in VA
    If people ignore a book like Maggie's, it's their loss, I'm sorry for them. I much prefer the page savers since it drag the pages around here then and yonder.

But thank you for the comments.
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast