Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over? >

HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over?

HSTs and Squares -- good enough, or start over?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Once you made all your HST's, did you square them up? Some times this will make a big difference too.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Yes thank you all again, so much, for your cyber-companionship, help and (especially) support and encouragement. Can't get over how kind and generous you all are with your experience and skills. Letawellman, I looked at the StripStick video and I can see how it would be helpful. (But in the video, isn't she actually ironing rather than pressing?!?). Halo, yes I did square the blocks, but some of them ended up being just a bit too small. I just tried to adjust the seams as best I could to make up for that as needed.

I am putting the borders on my quilt top now. I took a photo of a part of it in progress; I'll try to post it if I can figure out how!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by McGargantuette; 09-22-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 PM

You sure picked a doozy for a beginner's quilt. Matching all those points would be a challenge for anyone but with patience you can do it. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Really, GeeGee? If so, that makes me feel better! I didn't know enough when I picked this pattern to realize that it might be too advanced for my non-existent skill level!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:09 AM

The one thing I do not see mentioned in quilting circles, including here, is that WOF cotton, has a naturally occurring stretch, but if you tug just inside a selvege edge, it does not stretch. As I cut my smaller squares or whatever shape, I try very hard not to turn the fabric, so my stretch will all be on the horizontal and the no stretch stays in the vertical position. If any of you can explain this better for a 'newbie' please jump in. I am not so good at making some things clear. If you do this as you cut, your corners nearly always match as if by magic.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
Jan and zozee, thanks so much for your help. Thanks to you and everyone else who've commented I'm doing better now and will do much better next time. But I will live with this one "as is," and be happy with it now as an accurate reflection of my best work to date!
Most people don't even notice something off when they see your quilt. Bonnie Hunter says if you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse (I think she said that) - if not, I did. I have an Ocean Waves quilt that is my pride and joy and is done really well. I worked hard to make every corner of those 1/2 square triangles perfect. I don't get anymore raves from it than I do my first wonky quilts. Enjoy each quilt you make, they all teach you something.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I also believe in cutting larger (usually an 1/8") and then trim down. To me it's easier to take the extra time to square up than try to wiggle and ease in blocks that aren't square.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Maybe a little spray starch to the back side of your fabric will help and I agree about the over size of a hst. and cutting it down. ( like Jan in Va) shows. That's how I do it.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I think the picture shows an excellent job done. If it's not going in a show where quilt police are I would pat my back if I was you.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM

Thank you, Mary! Your compliment is very appreciated, though not entirely deserved! I have learned several good lessons by making this quilt and by reaching out to all you quilters here. I will try some Best Press as you suggest, and next time I'll definitely be adding an extra 1/8th or 1/4 inch to my cut pieces size!