Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Humility block...not really

Blog Entries
    I'm suspicious of any quilt top that hasn't had some seam ripping done. If this happens I start eagle eying it with a magnifying glass. Once I'm satisfied there are no mistakes then its ok to sandwich and quilt.

Blog Entries
    I was just at a quilt retreat this weekend. I put together a wall hanging. I laid the blocks out and had a couple of people check them. I sewed them together and showed it off. Someone pointed out a block out of place on the last row. She said she was sorry for criticizing my work. I was so glad she pointed it out before I got any further. fixed it last night.

You are preaching to the choir! But reminders are always appreciated

I have made that kind of mistake also. I was team teaching a class with a friend...and when we held up our quilts to show...one of the students pointed out my mistake. I sure was embarrassed. If the mistake isn't too bad, sometimes I will leave it in, but when it is very obvious, I will take the time to fix it. Much easier if the mistakes can be fixed before the quilt is quilted!

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
    Unless the mistake is glaring, don't worry. The Amish purposely make one mistake on every quilt because they say that only God is perfect!
    No they don't. They think that to assume they are so perfect they have to "fake" a mistake to prove they aren't as perfect as God would be the ultimate vanity, and an affront to God. They know they make enough mistakes, as we all do - in quilting and everything else - so God doesn't need to worry about us being perfect!

I've done that too. One time, unstitched it, thought I had it right, restitched, and had it wrong again! That's when you know it's time for a break!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Unless a piece is going to be judged in a show, a small mistake is not important in my book. That is what makes it personal. Human beings do make mistakes. I am sure it is more noticable to you than to others.

I usually blame the flipped blocks in my cat. It usually is his fault. 6 hours is a huge chunk of time to fix that, but I'd have had to do it too. Hope you can look at it without analyzing your repair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It really helps to take a picture too. Sorry you had to frog stitch.
    I'm an expert frog-stitcher - LOL!

I just had to do that! Luckily I was only half finished and it was a shall quilt. Some of the blocks have letters on them done in a sort of rope print. The other blocks are little cowgirls and cowboys. I had one of the letter blocks upside down. I know it would have driven me crazy on down the road, so I bit the bullet and frogged it! We are all guilty of that sin, once in a while!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast