Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hungarian - can you translate to English? >

Hungarian - can you translate to English?

Hungarian - can you translate to English?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 PM

A lot of us have seen this post and would very much like to have the directions. The poster has tried her best to translate using Google translate and some of us have tried other on-line resources but its just not able to give us the meaning of some words. Can you help, please?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114516-1.htm

This is the link for which we need translation:

http://naomi07.blogspot.com/2008/12/...a-step-by.html

Many eager members await you!
Kitsie
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I used Google translate as well. A couple of time, Google suggested "did you mean......" and I clicked on that. It gave a slightly better translation, but still not adequate, in my estimation. I'll be watching this to see if anyone comes up with a solution. I just love that folded Dahlia!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at that. :lol:
Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM

I would love to have it also
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM
MTS
Banned

I thought that tutorial had great pictures (they enlarge when clicked) and really demonstrated the technique (sort of like the instructions found in Japanese quilting magazines).

Reminds me a bit of Jenny Rayment's (from the UK) fold and tucking technique.

However, should anyone be able to translate it, I would really.really, really hope they first contact the original author to ASK PERMISSION to PUBLISH the translation, with all credit going back to the author.

Sometimes those annoying little details get overlooked. ;-)
Just saying.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Does Tothenci speak Hungarian? She has posted several times and lists her location as Hungary. Maybe she could help.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Does Tothenci speak Hungarian? She has posted several times and lists her location as Hungary. Maybe she could help.
I believe so but doesn't seem able to translate all of it. She did try but came up with the Google version. Or maybe she doesn't know English very well!

MTS - perhaps we could go to the blog and ask their contact person if they can do an English translation. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM

I didn't try and read after the translation in the blog post. I think it is all in the folding. What a neat project. When you all figure it out please post pics!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie
MTS - perhaps we could go to the blog and ask their contact person if they can do an English translation. I'll see what I can find out.
Sure, if she can (and wants) to translate it.

My point was just that even if the Google translation to English was sufficiently readable, it would NOT be alright to just PUBLISH the translation on this site or any other, even if the original author was given due credit.

That's all. There's a lot of copying and pasting of things from other sites, and it's really not kosher. Even if credit is given. ;-) And clearly this lady has worked very hard on her tutorial - even if it's not her original idea. I would hate to see that get lost in the translation, so to speak. ;-)

Just saying.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Kitsie
Sure, if she can (and wants) to translate it.

My point was just that even if the Google translation to English was sufficiently readable, it would NOT be alright to just PUBLISH the translation on this site or any other, even if the original author was given due credit.

That's all. There's a lot of copying and pasting of things from other sites, and it's really not kosher. Even if credit is given. ;-) And clearly this lady has worked very hard on her tutorial - even if it's not her original idea. I would hate to see that get lost in the translation, so to speak. ;-)

Just saying.
Could not find a way to contact Naomi through her blog or using Facebook. Have PM'd tothcani (?) to see if she can help.

Always pains me to see people ask to "borrow" patterns, etc. I'm sure you've had that happen many times, too.

But are blog tutes like this not public domain? What about ones by quilters eg: Kaye Woods, Sharon Shambler, etc? We are free to download and use them. And I did not see anywhere a price to buy the tutorial. (But then it IS in Hungarian! LOL Many of us have passed along a tutorial or other info from such information for the board members