Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvara  Topaz >

Husqvara Topaz

Husqvara Topaz

Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM

Default Husqvara Topaz

I have not posted before but have followed for a few years. DH wants to buy me a Husqvara Topaz 30. I just need some feedback before investing. I have a Janome 950 now. I do embroidery and quilting now. I am impressed with the throat space, lighting and of course to embroidery field on the Topaz. Thanks to all of you I have learned many many tricks of making quilts.
Sandy
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Don't have a topaz, but have all Vikings and love them! Welcome to the board from the Thumb!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 AM

What you need to do is go to the shop and try out the machine. Take with you, the types of fabrics that you will be using to try on the new machine. It's very important to test drive the machine before you buy (it's like buying a car) as each one of us has our preferences for machines, have two friends that LOVE their Vikings, me...not so much. I'm kindof stuck on Janome's. Welcome to the board.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 AM

Welcome from NJ. Nor do I have that particular model Viking, but I do love the one I have. Have had it for about 10-12 years with not an ounce of trouble. Same situation for a friend of mine with her model Viking. I totally agree though, to take YOUR fabric and test drive before you buy.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I do not have the Topaz but do have 5 Viking machines and love them.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 AM

I have a Viking Designer SE LE and love so much of what it can do. There are things that drive me bananas and resulted in getting ansecond machine, so a word of encouragement to run that sucker through its paces at the store. Drag in the lightest fabric you ever think you might use and do some fancy work on it, take in your biggest quilt project and shove it in there to see if you have ample maneuvering room, run the embroidery unit too. Bring your fabrics, and spend a few hours ripping along. Make notes about questions that appear to be no-buy issues and have the sales person answer them. Sew like you do in your machine now and see how you like it. Its the little things that you dont even realize when someone else is doing a demo that will not be like how you sew. like how far into the fabric do you have to be at the start to avoid sucking it into the bobbin housing, or does it hate to chain stitch.

One of my local stores insists you do this before buying as they believe a several thousand dollar investment that should last many years requires that amount of due diligence. The other store insists on doing only a specific demo and letting you watch.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM

I have this one and I love it.. Had it for about 4 months now. I have been non stop with it...