Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM

I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM
bj

Smaller ones I do myself. Anything larger than a baby quilt I let my LA friend do. She is so good and my machine doesn't have a lot of room to maneuver.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM

I used to quilt my own and it was a real struggle on my machine for anything over a crib size quilt. I found a local long arm quilter who does a beautiful job for a very reasonable price and same week turnaround. I couldn't be happier with her beautiful work. My rule now is to send all quilt tops to her to quilt. It gives me more time to make quilt tops!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM

I send mine out to be quilted. I've got Arthritis in my fingers and they just won't let me do the amount of stiching as quickly as I want to or need to. I found a mom and daughter team who are very reasonable about 20 min. from me. One perk is when I go to drop off or pick up I get to visit a friend who lives only a few blocks from them!
I do give them the batting as well. They make the bulk of their money on any repairs they need (if you've got a few missing seams it's $120 hr. with a one hour min.).

Kathy C
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Cyn

I do my own but it has to be qayg or hand quilting. I'm too embarassed for anyone to see all the stuff I hide when making a quilt :)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM

I am choosing this time to have my avatar quilted I want this one to be as perfect as it can be. I am not at the level I want to be in my FMQ to do this so I will trust a LA'r to do it for me :)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM

I do mine myself!! I can't bear the thought of spending that much time and energy and having someone else finish it! Not to mention the added cost!!! Until about 3 years ago I did all hand quilting, mostly small pieces. Three years ago I started learning to FMQ. I have used a Tin Lizzie at a LQS and loved it! I was having difficulty on my domestic machine. I found a really sweet deal on a frame and short arm, which I now use. It has it limitations, but I am learning and enjoying increasing my skill level.
Just my two cents worth! :)
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Well..I do all of my own. I have a long arm quilting machine. I also do appreciate all of those who send their quilts to me for LAQ services. :)
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM

I have just got an HQ Avante so that I can finish my quilts myself! I loved the work the local LA did but really wanted the completed quilt to be all my own work. At the moment my quilting is quite basic and not good enough for shows or heirlooms but I am learning as I go and have great fun!
I now also intend to let other quilters rent time on my machine so that they too can feel the satisfaction of doing it all themselves.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

I do all my own (hand quilting). Tried having someone else do one, long ago, wound up redoing the whole quilt.
I also hand quilt for other people. I guess I am real old-fashioned, just can't get used to the look of MQ. I know it is practical however.