Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick about this.  My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!! >

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Default I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

My husband and I worked hard fixing up my sewing area after I got the Crescendo in late July. I got a new sewing table for the machine to set in and set up some peg boards for the first time.

We made the boards from leftovers from the garage but we had to cut them to size, sand them, primer them, paint and paint and paint some more, measure-cut-and attached the boards on the back for the framing, and then attached to my walls.

After just 2 weeks or so of having my rulers hang on the peg board, my 6x24 inch, 6x12, 8x14 and 4x14 inch long rulers all have warped slightly. When I use them, the center area bows up and I have to apply pressure in that area to get the ruler to touch down on the fabric (and to make sure the ruler is aligned with the edge of the fabric). I am really disappointed this happened. So many people use peg boards and I never read a comment about this happening. Now, I have my long rulers just sitting in a pile on my cutting and work area table taking up very valuable space and I haven't had the heart to tell my husband yet!!

I was so happy about my sewing area makeover and I'm just really bummed.
Attached Thumbnails pegboards.jpg   florie-new-sewing-table.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Your room looks so nice! I've used pegboard for years and have never had a problem with the rulers warping. I have absolutely no idea why this would happen!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Your sewing room is beautiful! I am so sorry to hear about the rulers though. I am really surprised. You wouldn't think that would happen with them hanging on pegboard! Isn't that why they have that hole at the top?

Dina
Old 10-09-2014, 02:12 PM

I'm so sorry. How frustrating! Your room is just lovely.

My first thought was heat source, heat vent/window.

Then I looked at your set up. Check the lower pegboard with a straight-edge or level. I wonder if there is an installation issue. The top of the pegboard is just above those lovely tiles on the wall. I wonder if the pegboard has warped around the tiles, too.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM

I've never had that happen! That's how they are sold, that's how I hang them, I'm stumped.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Many shops I visit have their rulers hung the same way, have not heard of this happening before. Is their a heat source near them? Or has their been a lot of humidity? You can probably put them between heavy books or boards and flatten them back to the way they should be. Then I would be investigating the reason for it happening. Is the peg board flush against the wall? If the peg board is not flat that could be the problem. Use a long level and check. Your room looks great I hope you can figure out what caused the issue & fix it

Do your rulers get direct sunlight for a good part of the day? You have all those lovely windows and the sunlight might cause the warping. Or do you have a bow in your cutting table, since there is no support under the middle of it? Those long plastic extrusion tables can flex when you apply pressure on them.

I know I have to be careful when cutting on a part of my large cutting mat, since it is curved from being rolled up for a long time before being placed on my cutting table - made from a dining room table.

I don't think the pegboard would cause the problem.

As WishIWas Quilting said, it might be the fireplace as well. I agree change the location of the pegboard if possible.

Last edited by caspharm; 10-09-2014 at 02:19 PM.

I am so sorry that your rulers are warped, you might change the pegboard location -- it looks like it is above a fireplace, and directly in the path of the windows, so heat and light might have damaged the rulers, rather than the pegboard.

Liz
Old 10-09-2014, 02:22 PM

I'm confused, don't you apply pressure to your ruler when you are using it anyways? I always have to put my weight on the ruler or I can't cut straight.

Im guessing the warping is because you're using pegs that angle upwards a bit. You may be able to finger ones that are more of a right angle. Different retain displays use different pegs. Try reversing the way they hang (hang back side out) and see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

My rulers have all been hanging for years and never a problem...even the "soft" plastic June Tailor Shape Cuts....i see a window there ... was the sun shining in on them??? My one cutting mat warped when a 100 watt bulb got too close to it for too long. The point about the fire place is another question.
So sorry that it's happened.