Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick!! >

I am just sick!!

I am just sick!!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Don't repair and from now on just give him a box of chocolate covered cherries (they are cheap!) as a gift. :mrgreen:
Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 AM

No suggestions, but I know how upset you must be. [[[[[[hugs]]]]]]
Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 AM

moonpi , thank you,
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM

guess I see it a little different.......seems to me he knew this would hurt you and couldn't tell you about what happened to the quilt....after the fact he should have known better .......and they weren't thinking when the dog was left in there and accidents do happen........I would make a new one and say now take care of this one......after all it is just a quilt......and life goes on..........I'm a fine one to give advice....I pretty much have all my quilts cause I can't stand the thought of someone not loving them like I do....:-)

Common Mom...forgive and make him another.....you both will feel better for it......:-).....Boys will be boys....yatta yattta....:-)
Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 AM

You could make him and his wife a new quilt something easy... like warm wishes...or going on 20...use reasonable priced fabric....then give them the new one bring the other one home to FIX...and forget where you got it till the dog grows up...or they do :wink:
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 AM

when he asks for another hand-made quilt can you buy him one made in china?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure what advice to give, I would be VERY upset with anyone who (accidentally or otherwise) was so thoughtless with ANY gift, I think it's even worse since he knows full well how much time and effort it takes to make a quilt. My first thought was that he knew you would be upset so maybe that's why he didn't say anything... but it's always worse when you find out on your own, eh?

I made a quilt for my brother and his girlfriend this spring when they had their first baby (she's 4 months pregnant again :shock: :roll: ) and some of the stitching came out in the laundry, she was pretty upset about it, but the best thing she could have done was tell me about it, I WILL fix it.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree with gcathie. An older dog often does things that are unexpected and out of character. I'm sure they wouldn't have locked him in the room knowing that he would destroy anything. And afterwards, they were ashamed to show you the damage. Your son and DIL were still keeping the quilt on the bed, so it seems that they did cherish it, even after it was damaged. Talk to your son, but with love rather than resentment. Look at this as a great opportunity to make another quilt. It will strenghen the bonds between you and your son and DIL.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:00 PM
HMK

Having experienced the same thing with a wedding quilt I made for a friend of our daughter, I know the feelings you're going through. I picked the perfect pattern to have meaning for them and we all know how much time and thoughts of the person we put into these. About a year later they came to town with the quilt in tow and asked if I could repair it - the dog had eatien a humungeous hole right in the centre of it. I took it home and that gave me a cooling off period and after really looking at it, realized that I would never be able to repair it. The friend is a Geriatric Nurse and thinks everything should be bleached and yup, that's what it looked like she'd done or washed it in very hot water a gazillion times.

This made me sit and have a talk with myself. "Self" explained that I had enjoyed making it for them and all the planning and I enjoyed giving it to them for their wedding. Once a gift is given, it's the receiptient's and what they do with it is up to them.

I wouldn't repair it and I wouldn't harbour any ill feelings - they just didn't know any better and accidents happen. Just let it go.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Elaine-I would be sick about it, too. The baby quilt I made for my first grandson was washed in bleach by his daddy. I don't have to tell you how it looks now, you get the picture. After being angry for a long time, I decided it would be better for "me" to focus on the enjoyment I had thinking about my future grandson (the "joy" of the process) and the wonderful feeling of accomplishment. Once it leaves my hands, I've decdided that I am no longer the owner and not responsible. I would hope my quilts would get tender, loving care but I can't ever guarantee they will. No, I would not repair it.

I know he's your son and you still love him very much. I did make a second quilt for my grandson and gave specific care instructions. But, just remember making it is the "pay-off" or pleasure for you not checking in years (or months) later to see how it's holding up.

It was a very hard lesson for me to learn.....