Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am looking for ideas on how to make a quilt using the uniforms my granddaughter has worn in her shool sports. >

I am looking for ideas on how to make a quilt using the uniforms my granddaughter has worn in her shool sports.

I am looking for ideas on how to make a quilt using the uniforms my granddaughter has worn in her shool sports.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM

The uniforms are all of synthetic stretchey fafrics. I need to know if it would look better if I cut them up into a pattern like pieced quilts or keep them whole and considering the type of fabric would it be best to use a backing of some sort to maintain the shapes. Also some ideas on how to design the background of the quilt so it would be pleasing to look at and be neat in appearance. I would like to receive some E-mails with suggestions I might use. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on the subject.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Perk why don't you look up quilts made from tshirts. Since t-shirts are also stretchy I think you will find lots of valuable hints there. You can go to the top of the page and hit search, then type in t-shirt quilts. It should bring up lots of posts about this very subject and how to deal with the stretch in her uniforms. Also don't cut them into small quilt block shapes. You can see how they do it with t-shirts.
Good luck,
Kat
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM

I think this may be the best way too.
Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Perk why don't you look up quilts made from tshirts. Since t-shirts are also stretchy I think you will find lots of valuable hints there. You can go to the top of the page and hit search, then type in t-shirt quilts. It should bring up lots of posts about this very subject and how to deal with the stretch in her uniforms. Also don't cut them into small quilt block shapes. You can see how they do it with t-shirts.
Good luck,
Kat
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Also don't cut them into small quilt block shapes. You can see how they do it with t-shirts.
[/quote]

PLEASE don't cut them out till they are stablized! Remember that knits and stretchy fabric curl when you cut them. They need to be fused FIRST..and then cut to size. Whew! Good call Kat! A search of this board under t-shirt quilts will net you TONS Of ideas....Also try googling t-shirt quilt images. Good luck and dont' forget to post pictures for us to see...