Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am not a Fabric Hoarder, I am a Fabric Collector Gone Awry >

I am not a Fabric Hoarder, I am a Fabric Collector Gone Awry

I am not a Fabric Hoarder, I am a Fabric Collector Gone Awry

Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
It sounds like you have a great hubby who understands you and your passion for quilting. Stop searching for it and then you'll find it
So true!!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I always find what I've been missing by cleaning house. And I usually find some other items I've forgotten were missing, lol!
That is my chosen method also -- if I can't find the lost item in a few minutes I quit searching and start cleaning. I usually find what I'm looking for and end up with a room or two that has been straightened up and other things put away. Win, Win.

Course I'm the one who lost 20 yards of fabric! I did manage to find it --that whole process made me ruler fold and put away all my fabric.

Last edited by Nammie to 7; 01-19-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

Clever boy! Don't stress it will turn up.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 AM

It was so funny when he corrected me. It's just so strange that it would just disappear like that, but I have plenty of other things to work on. I haven't really felt like working on anything for about a year, I have started and stopped a dozen times and then yesterday I decided to get started again and my project just disappears.

So, I have pieced a few of the monthly blocks from the boms that come in the mail each month and have been piling up by the machine for the last few months.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Your hubby is definitely a "keeper." Best of luck in the return of the missing fabric!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 PM

I cleaned out my quilt studio while I was home rehabbing a new hip and was really disturbed by the vast amount of fabric I have……whether it’s yardage or cut up scraps. My 13 year old grandson was helping me with the cleanup and he…..in as gentle a voice as he could manage said “don’t take this the wrong way, grandma, but I think you might be a hoarder?” I told him there was a big difference between a hoarder and a collector….the collector does in fact use the stuff they collect….and I have about 40 baby quilt I made this year to prove it. But the sad part is that it didn't make a dent in my scraps…..most of my quilts are scrap quilts. Still, I did decide to put a moratorium on my fabric buying until I use some of the stuff on my shelves.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Cute husband, my guy says I am taking the sceinic(sp) route to find things
Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 AM

Don't let this small problem knock you off track. Just take one of the BOM you especially like and start on it. I couldn't find a piece of fabric, that I just know I had out, I had folded it into another piece of fabric. Really thought I had gremlins in my sewing room.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 AM

I am looking for some fabric I bought in December and so far it is a mystery where I put it. We are in the same boat!! Very frustrating!You picked a nice hubby.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM

My getting involved with the Linus Project was a perfect excuse for me to purchase more fabric. My other excuse is that the prices are going up dramatically. Even Joanns has cotton fabric that is $14 a yard. When we started making Linus blankets out of fleece I had another excuse to check out the remnant bins at least once a week. The nice thing about the fleece blankets is that I can crochet the yarn edge around them while still watching TV with my husband. Last week I went to one of the few Quilt Shops in driving distance from my home and I was shocked by the price of everything there. I can afford to make three Linus Quilts from the fabric I purchase at Joanns because they are a whole lot less expensive. I really need to not purchase anything for a couple of months and try and put a dent in my current stash. In the mean time I am hoping the weather is not bad for our Linus sorting day coming up. We had to cancel the last one and I am currently tripping over 7 bags of finished quilts bound for that project. I also make "princess pillowcase dresses". They are a project for children in third world countries that have no clothes. The idea being that if they are covered they are less likely to be molested. I purchase gently used top sheets for that project. I have discovered that many people are like my husband and won't sleep under top sheet. I am able to find them for a great price at local thrift stores etc. I can make about six dresses from one of them. the dresses are based on the concept of a pillowcase with armholes cut out and bound with bias tape that makes tie straps for the shoulders. Using pillowcases or the sheets, provides presewn hems and or selvage edges that save a lot of sewing. I have a number of sheets also adding to my stash plus a large collection of bias tape that was donated by persons at my church.