Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am not an octopus..

so how do you fold 2 or more yds of fabric so the selvages meet correctly - I hate the V effect when you rotary cut & they aren't lined up right.

I have been trying to reorganize and fold my fabric before I put it in my closet - small pieces are no problem - HOWEVER the longer ones have just about pulled my back out.... So I know there has to be a trick/secret that I haven't heard before.

Any hints???

Blog Entries
    I let it dangle over the railing of my second story deck. do you maybe have a stair well?

No hints but that is a ggod question. I can feel your pain having been there myself. It seems like such a little thing but in practice it can be unweildy at best.

Blog Entries
    sometimes the selvages don't meet evenly due to the grain of the fabric. what you want is the grain to be hanging straight. not the selvage edges.

Blog Entries
    I don't pay much attention when I fold for storage. When I pull out yardage, I leave the bulk on my table and only handle the front part that needs to be cut. I jiggle the selvages until the piece hangs straight. Then I double fold, smooth it out, trim the edge square and cut my strips.

One thing I found works better for me (read that somewhere):
    If I need 4 strips @2.5" each, I do the math how much that is total. In this case, I cut one strip at 10" and sub-cut that into my 4 strips. It DOES make a difference.

I do the same thing as Mad Quilter. Works great.

I too do the same as MAD

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I let it dangle over the railing of my second story deck. do you maybe have a stair well?
    Sorry - live in FL - one level home - but if I had an upper deck, that is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    sometimes the selvages don't meet evenly due to the grain of the fabric. what you want is the grain to be hanging straight. not the selvage edges.
    That's what I mean - but I guess I am not phrasing it correctly. If you have a yard of fabric, before cutting it, I iron it and hold it out so the selvages meet and there is no wave in the fabric - hopefully it is cut semi straight so there is not a lot of loss - but how do you line it up when using more than a yard of fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I don't pay much attention when I fold for storage. When I pull out yardage, I leave the bulk on my table and only handle the front part that needs to be cut. I jiggle the selvages until the piece hangs straight. Then I double fold, smooth it out, trim the edge square and cut my strips.

One thing I found works better for me (read that somewhere):
    If I need 4 strips @2.5" each, I do the math how much that is total. In this case, I cut one strip at 10" and sub-cut that into my 4 strips. It DOES make a difference.
    Thank you! That sounds like such a wonderful tip! One of those light bulb moments. :) LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast