Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...? >

I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...?

I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Default I am over-run with fusible fleece - can I...?

I swore off quilting until our house sold. Well it was a nice thought. I am an addict! So I am making small projects. Kind of a compromise with myself!

I am making a bed runner right now. Each block is 16 inches square. I am going to sandwich each block and quilt each separately. Then attach them a la Leah Day's QAYG method.

Question is - I have a ton of fusible fleece. I don't know what I was thinking! Could I use it instead of batting? I don't need loft or softness. If you think I can, do I iron it on to the pieced block or onto the backing? (only one side is fusible).
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

of course you can use it- as for which piece to fuse it to---personal choice- if you want to add stability to the pieced block fuse it to that- if it doesn't matter either way fuse it to which ever piece suits your fancy. then quilt as desired.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
of course you can use it- as for which piece to fuse it to---personal choice- if you want to add stability to the pieced block fuse it to that- if it doesn't matter either way fuse it to which ever piece suits your fancy. then quilt as desired.
Thank you ckcowl for your prompt response! I would have never thought of the increased stability part - I will fuse it to the pieced block!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh I have been dying to use fusible fleece - for my table runners I have been using quilters flannel. I would love to hear how you feel about the end product.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 AM

I would save my fusible fleece for purses/totes as it is really expensive when I saw it at Walmart/Joann's while in the states (and wanted some).
Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM

I used fusible fleece for placemats -- wasn't really impressed with it. I didn't think it adhered to the fabric, but maybe it was me!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
Oh I have been dying to use fusible fleece - for my table runners I have been using quilters flannel. I would love to hear how you feel about the end product.
It actually worked well. It takes a long time to fuse, but I used a Teflon pressing cloth and took my time. Here is the block fused and quilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]463837[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 003-781x800-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 05:53 PM

I also use regular fleece -- and it works wonderfully for baby & childrens quilts, tablerunners, place mats, etc. Gives the article a nice thickness and holds up beautifully in the wash.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 AM

I've used it for table runners and placemats with no problem. I like the way they look, a little more crisp in the end. Washing hasn't been a problem either.