Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am so excited and I have questions. >

I am so excited and I have questions.

I am so excited and I have questions.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting G
I am sew excited. I am piecing a 4 block backing for my sons quilt and it is fleece. Well I did not follow directions and starch it first but it is working.
I did have some trouble cutting the pieces and sewn 8 strips together and is went smoothly no stretching and they have no ripples. So Yeah!!!
I am excited about two things.. One my sewing machine allowed me to use an oversize spool of thread and it still self threaded the needle… I will never go back to one that doesn’t.
The other thing was I had concerns that quilting on the fleece would make it rough. I do not plan on quilting closely but was concerned. Well while piecing the first strips together I complete about 10 inches and stopped to make sure it was not stretching and I could not see the thread… It created a ditch but I could not see the thread with out folding the ditch open… It looks like the fluff of the fleece covered the thread.
Sew Yeahhhhh I will not need to worry about what color thread I use in the bobbin……

Now for my question. The thread I used is Coats Machine quilting & Crafts Mercerized Cotton. I got it because it was much cheaper then the normal large spools. Is this thread good for piecing as well as the actual quilting? And is it ok for the bobbin?

Thanks Guys. I am sooo excited about this one. The design for the back and front is attached. I will post photos when I'm done…

Happy Quilting,
G
I am a little lost here. The directions said to "starch" fleece? Am I the only one who never heard about that? Also, you are going to make a sandwich, back and quilt fleece? What kind of backing and batting do you use with fleece? Sorry to sound dumb, I am not familar with this and am curious because I have some fleece and thought might use for project Linus.

Margie :)
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM

i'm trying to understand also. is the backing fleece or regular fabric? if it's fleece on fleece, why do need batting? or starch?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Margie and Butterflywings:
The Fleece will be the backing and I will not be using a batting due to the thickness of the Fleece. The quilt top is 100% cotton and is pieced.

I had never heard of starching fleece but it was mentioned in another thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/16317.page

I will be quilting them this weekend hopefully and will post pictures when I am done.

I did run into some streching when adding the borders. I measured twice and cut once and I was still off about an inch. I think I will put a patch in place and cover it with my lable or an applique.

Happy quilting,
G
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you are referring to flannel? I have ironed or ever heard of starching fleece.

One machine repairman posted on another website that C&C thread will etch the tension disk of some machines. I found my favorite thread after using many different brands.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/quilting+thread.html

I've heard it's made by YLI exclusively for Connecting Threads.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM

The Fleece will be the backing and I will not be using a batting due to the thickness of the Fleece. The quilt top is 100% cotton and is pieced.

I had never heard of starching fleece but it was mentioned in another thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/16317.page

I will be quilting them this weekend hopefully and will post pictures when I am done.

I did run into some streching when adding the borders. I measured twice and cut once and I was still off about an inch. I think I will put a patch in place and cover it with my lable or an applique.

Happy quilting,

G
wow! that's a new one for me! i wonder how that would affect the stretch. it would have to go in the same direction.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Happy quilting,

G
wow! that's a new one for me! i wonder how that would affect the stretch. it would have to go in the same direction.
i also wonder how hard it would be for the needle to go through. sometimes it can get tough going through even one layer depending on the on the fleece.

please let us know how this all works out. maybe post showing the front and back if you can..
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM

I have found that my machine does much better and my quilting holds up better if I have invested in a better quality thread. Your squares are absolutely beautiful. Great work! hapytlk