Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am sooo upset...

I made a Christian D9P for my dear mother-in-law (86). I put the entire quilt together and just did tying with yarn. It turned out beautiful, until I washed it. I am so P.O'ed now. The fabric that is kinda tanish/yellowish with the big cross's on it... frayed in several different spots.. JUST the area with that fabric in it. The spots where there are seams with the different fabric... all is okay. So now what can I do? She loves her quilt...I did also..until I washed it. At first I saw one small spot, so I used fabric glue on that... but...dang..now I found many spots..I would have to call it MY GLUE QUILT. It measures 108 x 108. I am so mad, I could spit fire..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Sounds like that fabric is a looser weave than the rest. I know that you tied it, but I would consider hand or machine quilting just those blocks, to reinforce the seams. You could also frame the blocks with sew on or iron on bias tape.

So sorry this happened, I wish I had an answer for you. Hopefully someone here will. BTW the quilt looks beautiful in the picture. :cry:

Blog Entries
    Thats a shame. Could you applique over those areas?

I would have to do the entire quilt..as it is not just the huge blocks in the middle..but also the little squares in between the bigger dark brown ones also..

Can you afford to send it to a LA?

Power Poster
    Have you figured out WHY this has happened?

If you are willing to share with us what you think may be the cause(s), it may save some of us a lot of aggravation and disappointment.

I'm sorry this happened to your quilt. I've never had fabric fray after washing. Is there a way to determine if fabric will fray before using it in a quilt?

Now the backing and batting would be to small now.. So it would cost even more..to buy new backing and batting..plus to have it LA... so that option would be out, as I can not afford that..but I did think of it.. until I realized the batting and backing part.

Just curious. Did you wash the fabric before you cut it? We are always discussing the pros and cons of doing this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast