Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church) >

I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM

I was thinking about doing something similar at my church. I was going to do a once a month quilting time. Then a weekly Bible Study where we would go through Genesis and at the beginning of each month we would do a quilt block that correlates with Genesis (tree of life, garden of eden, jacobs ladder...)
Our church also has a ministry that helps the homeless, and needy and making quilts to help them would be a wonderful way to help that ministry.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 AM

It is fun to take turns making treats for the group meetings also. If you could make the first meeting treats, then post a sign up sheet for volunteer treat/snack providers for future meetings.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM

Congrats! Dont worry so much, you will do a fine job, Im sure of it!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 AM

What a great idea! And 5 people without even publicizing!
You have good plans there.

I am in a similar group, but it doesn't meet in a church. We meet at a member's home. We have devotions, and then one member presents a block of the month that goes along with the devotion. (IE, Joseph's coat, Jacob's Ladder, Crown of thorns) There is time to get help on whatever techniques needed for that block.

We decided at the outset that, for a year, we would each make the block presented, to give to the group, and a second block to keep. Now that the year is done, we have split the 'group' blocks, and are each responsible for making a quilt to give to charity.

Have fun with your group! It sounds wonderful. :thumbup:
Old 08-18-2010, 03:53 AM

I started a group at our church and we now have 10 people.We meet twice a month on Thursday morning and bring all our stuff to sew etc. We do charity quilts sometimes when the need arises, we make a baby quilt for any child baptized in our church and we work on our own projects. Two people volunteer each time to bring lunch taking turns. This year we did a round robin where everyone made a row to add on our quilt. That was fun. Three of our ladies do not belong to our church but heard about our group and we welcomed them to join.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 AM

I don't think an hour is long enough, by the time you get your machine set up and things, time's up. Other than that, it sounds good.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Aw, Congrats! It sounds like a great plan to me! I bet you get quit a few to join.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 AM

I think you got a good thing going there. Think about stretching the time to two hours. Someone alwasys has trouble getting to meetng on time and start when you plan to start.

Skip the treats. I worry about food on quilts if they get passed around.

Plan an adgenda for 6 months in advance. This Will give the gals something to plan on. Suggestions: bring a fav book that you like, demonstrate a speed piecing technque, or a quick easy block such as disappearing 9 patch, etc. Ask for gals to sign up to be responsible for the activity.

Twice a year we have a ufo sewing frenzie. We bring stuff we are working on in hopes to maybe get something done.

Send a newletter online with the focus for that month's meeting.

Join a quilt group in your area. Maybe you'll get new members for your group.

Remember, quilting is a hobby that we all love. Show your love for this "therapy" and this will be wonderful for everyone.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 AM

I am also in PA and would love to join a quilt club. Where are you located in NE PA.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by nursie76
Gosh, what part of PA are you in? I would love to join :-)
I would love for you to join Nursie but I am in the eastern part of the State right outside of Pittsburgh
Oh drat! Well, I will be there with you in spirit. Our youngest DD and her DH just left Pittsburgh yesterday. They are now in Ohio. I will tell her to wave when she passes on her way back to North Central PA