Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe I'm stupid - Jelly Roll Quilt help.

I believe I'm stupid - Jelly Roll Quilt help.

I have watched Jenny Doan's Jelly Roll race video no less than 4 times. I got the sew at 45 degree angles right sides together figured out after I had loops of fabric to the right of my needle (it makes a difference which way you sew the 45 degree angle) I got the strips all cut apart and found (luckily) I only sewed 5 of them with 1 of the strips right side up. Once I got all my strips going the same direction I started sewing them together from opposite ends. Here is my problem: What do I do with the loop of fabric at the end after the strips are sewn together? I saw Jenny clip the bottom apart after she was finished. I'm confused.
    I feel like such an idiot.

If you're an idiot, so am I. Apparently you keep grabbing the bottom of the quilt and joining it up to the top and sew it together time and time again. After doing it twice, I got all confused too and decided I was just going to cut everything to 48" and join those together in 3's and 4's. Turned out really nice even if I didn't do it the "approved" way.
    Name:  Jelly Roll Complete 003.jpg
Views: 4885
Size:  83.1 KB
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

No idiots, just confusion! Stitch all strips together end to end, right sides together (angle or straight either one) to make one long (very long) strip. Cut about 18" off of one end (this makes the seams not end up stacked right on top of each other).

Pick up both ends of that very long strip and put them right sides together (don't try to straighten it out down the length, just have faith and sew the strips together all the way to the end (it will have a loop and possibly twists in it) clip the loop as close to the bottom as possible. Stitch off the end.

Pick up both ends of the double strip, place right sides together and do the same thing, over and over and over. Square up the sides and make a quilt!

I ended mine about 45-48" wide and got a nice lap quilt. Then I decided to do it again and put borders on it to make it larger. Gave them away so don't have pics, but lots of pics on line. Now go sew strips together and you will have a lovely quilt!
    Last edited by linda8450; 12-15-2012 at 08:52 AM.

So I can clip the bottom instead of trying to figure out how Jenny ended up with a sewn bottom she had to cut apart? Cool. I'm good to go! Thank you so much!

I have not tried this yet but when I watched the video, I had the same thoughts of problems arising when I do try it.
    Thanks for posting.

Here's a picture of my Jelly Roll Race quilt. I didn't have a jelly roll so I cut my own stripes. Fast and easy once you know what to do and how to do it
    Name:  JellyRollRaceFinished (570 x 760).jpg
Views: 8086
Size:  167.3 KB
    A balanced quilter is one with a project on each finger
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Nobody is completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    So I can clip the bottom instead of trying to figure out how Jenny ended up with a sewn bottom she had to cut apart? Cool. I'm good to go! Thank you so much!
    Near the beginning of the quilt, when the strips are really long, you may have a twist at the bottom. Whether there's a twist or not, you cut it evenly. As the quilt's length decreases (and its width increases), you will be able to simply bring the top to the bottom without having a twist. At that point you will have the smoothly sewn bottom to clip, which Jenny shows near the end of the video. (If you watch the video carefully during the speeded up segments, you will see her reaching for the scissors occasionally. That's when she is cutting the bottom section after each seam is completed.)

this sounds like fun--i am thinking if every one in a group[approx 20] brings a 2 1/2 inch width of fabric we would have a top each meeting for charity

No pic, but I never sewed at a 45 degree angle..call me cheap but I hated to cut off the pieces!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    No pic, but I never sewed at a 45 degree angle..call me cheap but I hated to cut off the pieces!!
    I think it adds design interest to do an angle cut, but I'm sure you can do whatever.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast