Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought a ShortE! Decided not to buy a long arm. >

I bought a ShortE! Decided not to buy a long arm.

I bought a ShortE! Decided not to buy a long arm.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM

Default I bought a ShortE! Decided not to buy a long arm.

I've been looking at long arms for just about a year. I decided not to get one. Space is the biggest issue, and then there is a huge learning curve, and then there is the huge cost.

My domestic sewing machine is a Babylock Ellisimo and I do love it. I bought it about 5 years ago and at the time was looking for one that I could quilt with and was told this would be an absolute dream to use quilting my quilts. I think the truth was stretched a little (or a lot). Also I did not have any knowledge about what an embroidery machine was or what could be done with one. I wanted a good machine and though I was very gullible I was extremely lucky that everything turned out ok. Since then I have learned a whole lotta stuff!

I have pieced and quilted my quilts, mostly outline or stitch in the ditch, some fmq but I'm not very good at it, and have learned to use embroidery as the quilting of the quilt.

I have a love hate relationship with sandwiching the quilt, and thus my search for a long arm. And then there is the handling of the quilt in the harp of the machine and I do large quilts. So I kept looking for a better way.

I have discovered the ShortE! It is a remarkable quilt frame that works with the weight and largeness of all that fabric that I find I wrestle with while trying to fmq. Here is the website if you are interested in taking a look at it. http://www.shop.dzgns.com/products/shorte .

I'm very happy that I waited before spending another large amount of money to help me with my hobby. It does cost a little bit but it's fractions of what a long arm is. And I can use my Ellisimo and feel I've finally got to the place where I can do what I want to do. Sew and quilt and enjoy the process without a lot of frustration.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

That's a neat set up. I haven't seen that before.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

the quilt on the frame is the same pattern as posted by railroad here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t265912.html
what a coincidence
Old 06-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

it's an unusual set up, please keep us posted on how you like it. congrats!
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Yes, please let us know how it works out.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Can you use it for FMQ, or just with your machine embroidery setup?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM

It seems a little overpriced.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:29 AM

Looks like you can only do quilting with embroidery designs....? Not a bad idea...sort of a shorter version of computerized longarm.....there will probably be more quilting designs for embroidery now........ Interesting how things evolve.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 AM

I'm very pleased with the shortE. It's easy to use. The set up and take down is a breeze. The sandwiching is sooo much easier!!!!! The frame is sturdy and well made and I believe well worth the price. I was prepared to spend 1000's more.

And yes PaperPrincess, I have been able to do some fmq. I have to pin or baste a little bit more and not use the hoop when that method is used. The frame really helps with the weight and bulk of the fabric.

It works wonderfully with the embroidery feature. Yay!!! (I have the hoop that was suggested to use.)

I think life just likes to give us lot's of choices. Just when I find this wonderful tool to use and to get acquainted with and am wanting to play and have fun with it, we've got an interested buyer for our home and it's under contract at this time. If all goes well, we will be out of this home by the end of June. So now my main focus is packing and cleaning and moving! This has been going on for a long time so I'm very ready to not be in limbo any longer. Timing; isn't it great. Sure gives me something to look forward to though.

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 06-13-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
the quilt on the frame is the same pattern as posted by railroad here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t265912.html
what a coincidence
Isn't it fun when things like that happen? I've got it on my bucket list!