Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe it! >

I can't believe it!

I can't believe it!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 AM

I had a Martelli cutter that popped a spring holding the guard in place while cutting and it was a close call. I ended up tossing it and purchased another. First time out and the same spring popped out.
Not sure about the customer service at Martelli. Still waiting.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

So glad you weren't hurt worse.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Oh, those cuts that just require a bandaid can be the most painful. Get well quickly!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM

Well, me too. I was cutting out 2-1/2" strips one day last week, in a hurry of course, and laid my 6x24 ruler with no safety-holding stickers on the back down on my fabric, went to work with the rotary cutter, jumped the track of the ruler and it got my left thumb nail, plumb down into the under-bed. So, now, after wearing a very tight bandaid for a few days, I have a healed up thumb-nail with a blood blister under the nail. I'm still shaking my head at that one, I am always urging my students to be very careful with their rotary cutter. And yesterday, I went to Jo Ann's and bought one of those packages of sticker things that you can put on the back of your ruler to hold it in place. Hope it works--I hate to have to pitch this one and buy a new one--even at half-price at Jo Ann's, they cost a lot anymore.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:14 AM

so sorry about the attack of the killer rotary cutter. thank the angels watching over you it was just a bandaid cut,
sometimes weird stupid things happen to us when we don't even realize what we are doing. Last night, I went to put a log in my little wood stove, the log king of rolled back towards the door, without even thinking, I grabbed it and pushed it back into the stove and burned my hand on the side of the stove. DUH moment but kind of throbbed most of the night keeping me up. :-(
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM

When I first started quilting in the 90's I heard a stories such as the person who was talking with her hand while holding a rotary cutter and clipped off the tip of her nose. Also, stories of people needing stitches on their feet because they dropped their rotary cutter.

I also remember being told "don't let your children or husband near your rotary cutter because they will test it. Often a man will test it like he does a pocket knife -- trying to shave the hairs on his arm. He will cut his arm before he knows it!"
Old 11-20-2014, 05:05 PM

I have a friend who dropped it, or knocked it off, and ended up with 6 stitches in her foot...course it was a brand new blade she had just changed to...........why doesn't it happen when the blade is old and dull, instead of when its new and sharp..........
Old 11-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Thank goodness you didn't have to go to a Doc in the Box or to the ER! Hubs is on bloodthinner and has had to make 4 trips to ER.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM

"the attack of the killer rotary cutter" - sounds like a title for a harrowing quilting tale!