Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't use a rotary cutter >

I can't use a rotary cutter

I can't use a rotary cutter

Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

I read on here (don't remember who posted it sorry) to keep the ruler from slipping you can glue small squares of sandpaper to the bottom. might be worth a try

I am a righty and I get wonky cuts sometimes, and I know it is because my ruler slips.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Duh. I didn't realize I could switch the blade. I did, and it already made a world of difference. I do have some problem with the ruler sliding on me, and have looked for some of those strips to make it non slippery, but couldn't find them. Thanks for the help. I will watch the tutorial, too, and practice, practice, practice,....but already, this is easier.
I learned on here that it is cheap to paint a line of rubber cement on the back of the rulers and let dry. It has helped with the slipping of the ruler alot. I did it around all sides and an x in the middle of the larger squares. I let it dry overnight and that was fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 PM

I've noticed that I'm most likely to get wonky cuts if my fabric is not perfectly straight and flat under the ruler. If the top layer of fabric is smooth but the underneath layer is the least bit loose then a 'bump' will form as you go forward and bye-bye straight cut.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM

When you lay your fabric out on your cutting mat make sure that the fabric lays evenly on one of the lines at the bottom of the mat and also along one side. This will mean that the fabric is squared on the mat. Then when you use your cutting ruler be sure your ruler marks are even at the top and bottom of the fabric according to the lines on the mat. When you cut this way everything is in square and you won't get angled cuts. The rubber cement tip is a great one and I've used that for a long time. My ruler doesn't slip at all as long as I apply even pressure to the ruler. I use a 45 rotary cutter blade, I found the larger the blade the harder it is to keep it rolling straight. I also have some size 20 cutters and blades that I use to square up blocks. That might just be me but I find the smaller sizes to be more accurate when I make the cuts.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM

If you continue having problems you might want to look at Alto's Quilt Cut 2. It does make cutting much easier.

I agree, height of your cutting surface matters as well as how you hold your rotary cutter. Something to help your ruler stay in place is also a great help.

ali
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM

I really recommend the June Taylor Shape Cut. It has made a world of difference to me. I used to be afraid to cut, and I am not afraid anymore.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

My LQS has a new rotary cutter and ruler set in. The rotary cutter is at an ergonomic angle and it rides along a little rail on the ruler edge. If I didn't have so much invested in other rulers, I would get it. Looks like it would be SOOO much easier to cut with. Maybe you can find one like it where you are?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM

I know a little of what you are talking about. I have no problem cutting even strips with my regular rotary cutter, but whenever I put my pinking blade on, it takes much more effort to keep my cutter right next to my ruler. My pinking blade seems to have a mind of it's own.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 AM

It would take longer, but how about trying with clamps on the rule - so that nothing shifts?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 AM

My Mom told me that to keep the lines straight against the ruler when you cut with a rotary cutter, you put your blade next to the ruler and then slant it just a bit, so you are more or less pushing the blade against the edge of the ruler. That keeps the blade in place and insures a nice straight cut. Edie

PS - Moms know best you know!!!!