Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I cleaned my own Bernina...

I cleaned my own Bernina...

I am so proud of myself. I watched a You Tube video showing how to clean a Bernina, and I actually did it myself. My husband was totally impressed when I told him. Where I live in Indiana, I am 1.5 hours from a Bernina dealer, so I decided to try. When I removed the throat plate I almost fainted. No wonder my maching was clunking...it was full of dust "clumps". I brushed them away, applied the oil, and put the whole thing back together. Now my machine sews beautifully and is totally quiet. Today I'm giving myself $50 for a job well done!!
    Maryann Maki
    www.maryannmaki.com

Good for you. It will get easier the more you do it. I do my Janome after every project. Sometimes I am surprised by how much junk is in there!
    Sue

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Good for you. What video did you watch?

In my area it was $85 and that was a year ago.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

I keep my own machines cleaned and oiled. I hate delays and taking machines to be serviced is a pain. Cleanings are not that bad and do not take long.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have two Bernina's that I clean and oil after each project. Also have 3 featherweights that I clean after each use. I went to a class on how to take care of the FW's as there are so many spots that need either oil or grease to keep them running smoothly.

Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    I'm not afraid to take any machine I have apart, even the computer one. The computer part is enclosed, you can't get to it anyway so don't worry about messing that up. The hardest thing to figure out is how to get the housing off. LOL All you need is to get to the moving parts to clean and lubricate.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I'm not afraid to take any machine I have apart, even the computer one. The computer part is enclosed, you can't get to it anyway so don't worry about messing that up. The hardest thing to figure out is how to get the housing off. LOL All you need is to get to the moving parts to clean and lubricate.
    I still have not figured out how to get the housing off my 20 year old computer viking. Really wish I could , I just know there are more lint bundles deeper in the machine.

Blog Entries
    congrats on getting the cleaning done!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    I do my regular cleaning and oiling of the bobbin hook of my Bernina myself. Any more than that voids my warranty so I leave the rest to the B maintenance guy.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 830 and don't know if I can take it apart and clean it. I do the cleaning of lint and oiling the bobbin, but that's all. I don't know if I should try and do more. I don't have to pay to have it serviced yet. They do it for free so far. But I wouldn't mind learning how to. Only if I didn't void the warranty and didn't hurt the machine.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast