Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: I could just kick myself!

I think your quilt came out beautiful in spite of your mistake plus the mistakes of the pattern maker. WTG!!!Beautiful!!!

We're getting ready to start cutting out a Jinny Beyer kit for grandsons graduation. The sewing doesn't look so hard but we are scared to start cutting for fear of making a mistake. We also have read and retread the directions. I am going to try rewriting them in a format that is easy for me to follow. Hopefully that will help. Hope the quilt goes together easily when you get the cutting problem solved.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Sometimes we just have "those moments". Despite it all....we are pretty resourceful creatures and some beauties rise from the ashes. Love your work and I would be contacting the patternmaker regarding the errors.

Thank you, I added a 3 in boarder last night and the quilt evern looks better.

I was making a log cabin quilt for my sister, and using some stash fabrics. Some of the fabrics are from my MIL, who used to own a quilt shop, and there is literally none of it left except for what I have (not in the whole world, but as far as I'm concerned :P). I was careful to cut the strips correctly because I knew I didn't have any wiggle room. I was doing a skewed pattern, so two different blocks, switching which side got skinny vs fat strips to get a curvy look.

Anyway, along I go cutting the strips, thinking and repeating the dimensions in my head the whole time, and I finish cutting the strips and I have fabric left...uh oh! I had cut the strips sans seam allowance! So I had to go back and sew the too-skinny strips together (I'd already cut the skinny set, this was supposed to be the fat set) and then trim them to the right width. Then I had to sew the strip remnants together to get to the end of the blocks. The last couple of blocks had these terrible strips on them that had at least 8 seams! The pattern was a little too big for it to be unnoticeable, too.

I felt a little sheepish giving the quilt to her, having made such a mistake, but she didn't notice until I pointed it out to half-apologize. She said it was fine, more than fine, because now she can prove her sister made it! :P
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Been there, done that...several times!
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

Your quilt looks gr8! Please show us a snap with the border on.

Strip Search is all completed and it has turn out wonderful.Name:  Strip Search Quilt 001.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  90.1 KB

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5