Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I did it! Now questions... >

I did it! Now questions...

I did it! Now questions...

Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Default I did it! Now questions...

After some deliberation, I purchased a Brother se400 as my "take along" machine (amazon had a really great deal). While it comes with a few feet, a walking foot is not included. Went to Brother to look for one, and found they have several different styles but without explanation that tells why one is better than the other. I am thinking I might want to use decorative stitches on a quilt as you go project or two. I know the harp isn't huge but hey, the machine only weighs about 11 lbs. Huge improvement over the 40 lb Kenmore that I have been lugging. So, can anyone enlighten me as to the differences in Brother walking feet?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Sorry I don't know anything about your new machine, someone on here will know about it. Good luck with it and enjoy.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM

I have the same machine and also had to purchase the walking foot separately. I called customer service at Allbrands.com, told the guy which machine I have and what foot I wanted, and they sent it to me at an affordable price. I was unsure that I was getting the correct foot, and he told me if I was unhappy with it, I could return it. Fortunately it worked perfectly and was exactly what I wanted.

I think what you may be asking is what's the difference between a high-shank machine and a low-shank machine? It's the height of the attachment. The walking foot for my SE400 will not fit on my Brother 1500 because one os a low shank and the other is a high shank.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 PM

One is for 7mm and one is for 5mm you buy your foot based on the max stitch width of your machine the 7mm I think is SA140 and I think your machine is 7mm
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...a#.UJXmHcWulOg
just go to accessories and it tells you what feet are compatible all 7mm feet should be compatible, but may not be listed under accessories for your model even if they work.
SA 140 is for 7mm machines which yours is. You can email brother about it and they will reply withing a day with the answer to which fits you machine but. Most machines either take SA 107 which is 5mm or SA140 which is 7mm then there are 2 more models which only belong to specialty machines like the PQ1500S
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

wow. glad i read your post Dolphngyrl....i, too, am in need of a walking foot and am happy to have this link!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM

I have a Brother, but it isn't the one you have. I found these folks to be excellent to do business with. They even called me when they didn't have something I'd ordered & asked if they could send a cheaper part that works fantastic so it could be shipped immediately. Excellent customer service!! http://www.sewingsupplywarehouse.com/