Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I DON"T know it ALL?

LOL I'm as surprised as ya'll are! I never thought much about every detail of a quilt but this one is for my father in law whom I love dearly. I used high quality fabric, thread, took my time with my piecing (still not perfect tho! :shock: ) I was going to use warm and natural batting but Hancock's was out so my other choice was Hobb's wool. It was 37.00$ for a queen size so I don't want to mess it up. It says 4" max between stitching lines, does that mean that I need to cross hatch or something on the 2-1/2" border? I stitched down both sides but now I'm concerned about it seperating lenghtwise, can that happen or am I safe?

your safe...... the 2 1/2 inches, stitched down on both sides of it will be just fine on the border....

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    LOL I'm as surprised as ya'll are! I never thought much about every detail of a quilt but this one is for my father in law whom I love dearly. I used high quality fabric, thread, took my time with my piecing (still not perfect tho! :shock: ) I was going to use warm and natural batting but Hancock's was out so my other choice was Hobb's wool. It was 37.00$ for a queen size so I don't want to mess it up. It says 4" max between stitching lines, does that mean that I need to cross hatch or something on the 2-1/2" border? I stitched down both sides but now I'm concerned about it seperating lenghtwise, can that happen or am I safe?
    I have the same thoughts about my first quilt. While I am using the W&N and it requires 12 inches.. does that mean in every direction?

My best guess is you will be OK, but I would hate for that border to bunch up or something after a couple washings.

tim in san jose

ok, we have 1 SAFE and 2 (me& TIM) IFFYS

I'd really like to have a bunch more "safes"

I've done it many many times! If my borders are over 4 inches wide then I quilt them....if not I leave them.

You are safe, the 4" between stitching lines means you don't have to have your quilting close together, 4 inch spaces that have no quilting won't separate. I wouldn't worry about your border, it is quilted down each side, it's not going to separate. :)

ok, that's 2 more safes! I feel much better. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    sure ... why not? you've gone to all that trouble ... made what i happen to know is one gorgeous quilt; and i know when it's done the quilting is gonna be awesome, too. may as well leave the border plain.

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck :twisted:

I would quilt it. Why take the chance when you have so much work in it already???