Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what sizing is. What is it?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

I don't know what sizing is. What is it?

I know I should know this, but I don't know what sizing is. I think it's in the fabric when you buy it, but what is it and what is it for?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Used to give your fabric more body. When you wash your fabric it becomes limp--sizing makes it more crisp but not as crisp as starch. I use it all the time.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    from Wikipedia "Surface sizing solutions consists of mainly modified starches and sometimes other hydrocolloids, such as gelatine, or surface sizing agents such as alkyl ketene dimer (AKD) or acrylic co-polymers. Surface sizing agents are amphipathic molecules, having both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) ends. The sizing agent adheres to substrate fibers and forms a film, with the hydrophilic tail facing the fiber and the hydrophobic tail facing outwards, resulting in a smooth finish that tends to be water-repellent. Sizing improves the surface strength, printability, and water resistance of the paper or material to which it is applied. In the sizing solution, optical brightening agents (OBA) may also be added to improve the opacity and whiteness of the paper or material surface."

aren't you glad you asked
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    from Wikipedia "Surface sizing solutions consists of mainly modified starches and sometimes other hydrocolloids, such as gelatine, or surface sizing agents such as alkyl ketene dimer (AKD) or acrylic co-polymers. Surface sizing agents are amphipathic molecules, having both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) ends. The sizing agent adheres to substrate fibers and forms a film, with the hydrophilic tail facing the fiber and the hydrophobic tail facing outwards, resulting in a smooth finish that tends to be water-repellent. Sizing improves the surface strength, printability, and water resistance of the paper or material to which it is applied. In the sizing solution, optical brightening agents (OBA) may also be added to improve the opacity and whiteness of the paper or material surface."

Show off!
    Bernie

I prefer using sizing to spray starch for pressing after I wash the fabric before cutting. I don't like the stiffness of starch, but I need more than just water sprayed and pressed.
    Beth in Maryland

Blog Entries
    Wow quiltnNan, you are a plethora of words.ha.

Blog Entries
    Can you buy sizing at Walmart?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post

I am glad I asked. This told me a lot (even tho I didn't understand all the words) ha ha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Can you buy sizing at Walmart?
    Yes, it's 97 cents at my Walmart.
    Bernie

I am glad you posted the question jcrow. Now I have been educated as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast